Thread: Icebug anyone?

Icebug anyone?

Has anyone tested Icebug shoes? A couple of the shoes like the Acceleritas for the fell or the Anima for trail look pretty interesting and well built. http://www.icebug.se/ProductList.aspx?m=649
    Also the Anima BUGrip with carbide tip studs would probably be pretty nice on wet rock.

Re: Icebug anyone?

Erosion on the hills is bad enough without going back to scratching the rocks with metal studs. Walkers did plenty of visible damage in the olden days before rubber Vibram soles, & there were far fewer of them then. I've got no problem with using metal studs for when it's icy, but not just because the rocks are wet. Sticky rubber's a lot less damaging.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Quote Originally Posted by joeg View Post
    Has anyone tested Icebug shoes? A couple of the shoes like the Acceleritas for the fell or the Anima for trail look pretty interesting and well built. http://www.icebug.se/ProductList.aspx?m=649
    Also the Anima BUGrip with carbide tip studs would probably be pretty nice on wet rock.
    I tried the Orocs at a lakeland race as a trial in very wet conditions, on rough rock they gripped quite well but still slippy on polished and water worn rock. Wouldn't wear them again in these conditions plus they seem to "jar" your legs more.

I'm with Splatcher on this not needed in the wet

On snow though they are superb.

Personal vie wof O-rocs was that they were poor on ice compared to proper (Finnish built) O-shoes
    On this basis I'd suggest ice-bugs would be better, being scandinavian designed and specifically designed for ice (which O-rocs are not (and it shows))

Agreed, Andy. I feel the same way about trekking poles. Thanks for pointing that out. I've never used metal studded shoes and would only consider them for mixed conditions but overall removable traction is a better way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    Erosion on the hills is bad enough without going back to scratching the rocks with metal studs. Walkers did plenty of visible damage in the olden days before rubber Vibram soles, & there were far fewer of them then. I've got no problem with using metal studs for when it's icy, but not just because the rocks are wet. Sticky rubber's a lot less damaging.
    Quite right, we do enough damage as it is.

I tried on some icebugs in Sweden once - they were all a very wide fit. That may just have been the ones on offer there of course.
    Agree with you about the metal studs Andy but my orienteering shoes were great on icy pavements and snow last winter. Mind you anyone new to buying O shoes will suddenly think fell shoes are a bargain!

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by Henry Porter View Post
    Quite right, we do enough damage as it is.
    I know.... I'm riddled with endless guilt about it....

Master

I bought a pair of Jalas last year - only wore them a couple of times as the ice then vanished: grip was excellent on icy trails - did not get the chance to try them on the fells.

Last edited by Henry Porter; 19-11-2011 at 03:18 PM.