Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ripoff for new boiler

ripoff for new boiler

Everything is overpriced, but this seems just too much...

We live in a 3bed det house, boiler is running well but old and not efficient, British Gas came to inspect the house and give us FREE advice on how to save energy.
    They advised to get a new energy efficient boiler, total cost about £4800. So we can SAVE about £150 a year.

Thieves.:angry:

Super Moderator

Re: ripoff for new boiler

What did expect them to say? 'Put an extra jumper on if it gets a bit chilly'?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I just want to punch them on the nose.

Super Moderator

It might be cheaper to buy the new boiler :closed:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    It might be cheaper to buy the new boiler :closed:
    True. But not the same pleasure.

Thats WAY over the top! You should be able to get something reasonable for half that. Best advice is to do a local search for respectable heating engineers and get 3 quotes.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master

I doubt you would even save that much - the new boilers seem so complicated that they need constant attention to keep them going reliably - what you save in fuel you will lose in call-out fees or an expensive contract to cover these. The new "efficient" boilers are, I understand, now obligatory - some years back, before they became obligatory, a friend was advised by a heating engineer to replace his boiler with an old fashioned one as they were so much cheaper and easier to maintain. Clearly £4800 is much too much. We had to get a new boiler a couple of years back as our old one had burnt out - it took about 6 visits spread over 12 months from various engineers to get it going reliably - it cost just over £3,000.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    Everything is overpriced, but this seems just too much...

We live in a 3bed det house, boiler is running well but old and not efficient, British Gas came to inspect the house and give us FREE advice on how to save energy.
    They advised to get a new energy efficient boiler, total cost about £4800. So we can SAVE about £150 a year.

Don't do it!! The whole condensing boiler thing is a massive rip-off and a red-herring: both in terms of the boilers themselves (which are crap and likely to break down within four years) and in terms of energy saving (the claims made for them are vastly exaggerated - it'll probably take a century for it to pay for itself, and it'll be on the scrapheap after about 10 years).

If your old boiler's running well - leave it alone and save yourself a lot of money. I paid for my mum to have a new condensing boiler fitted to save her on her bills, when her old one was still in working order - the worst two grand I ever spent, a total waste of money.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/b...-of-money.html
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 24-11-2011 at 12:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Gambatte View Post
    You're very naive if you expected anything else. The free energy survey is just an excuse to get into your house and try and sell you something.

Where's Boiler Insider when you need him.