Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

Thread: ripoff for new boiler

Thanks for the link to the video.
    I will watch it

I watched the video but sorry I do not believe it.

That seems like a stretch to me too.

I have a friend who lived in a clever energy efficient house for a few years. They certainly had very low heating bills, and a massive amount of thermal mass in the house. The design had a big window on the sunny side, but I've seen a lot of other energy efficient houses without this. So my take on it is that if you have a very well insulated house, you don't need to put the heating on much. But I suspect the amount of solar heating is quite small in winter, and I don't think you can store summer's heat to reuse 6 months later. If your house is very well insulated, you also generate quite a bit of heat from cooking and from body temperature.

I'd be interested to see some figures on how effective solar heating is in houses. I also have a friend who's just had an extension put in. He's got lots of big triple glazed windows. But finds he's losing a lot of heat through them. Unsurprisingly, they're not as well insulated as well-insulated walls, floors and ceilings. So I'm unsure if solar warming would put more into a house, than you'd lose from heat loss on a typical cold winter day.

I have a combi boiler in a new build. I work from home. It's pretty nippy outside and I have no heating on. It's 14.5C in the house.
    Comfortable.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I have a combi boiler in a new build. I work from home. It's pretty nippy outside and I have no heating on. It's 14.5C in the house.
    Comfortable.
    Baselayer, fleece, bobble hat and Dachstein mitts?
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    That seems like a stretch to me too.

I have a friend who lived in a clever energy efficient house for a few years. They certainly had very low heating bills, and a massive amount of thermal mass in the house. The design had a big window on the sunny side, but I've seen a lot of other energy efficient houses without this. So my take on it is that if you have a very well insulated house, you don't need to put the heating on much. But I suspect the amount of solar heating is quite small in winter, and I don't think you can store summer's heat to reuse 6 months later. If your house is very well insulated, you also generate quite a bit of heat from cooking and from body temperature.

I'd be interested to see some figures on how effective solar heating is in houses. I also have a friend who's just had an extension put in. He's got lots of big triple glazed windows. But finds he's losing a lot of heat through them. Unsurprisingly, they're not as well insulated as well-insulated walls, floors and ceilings. So I'm unsure if solar warming would put more into a house, than you'd lose from heat loss on a typical cold winter day.
    Regarding the amount of WINTER solar heating:
    I have a large photovoltaic on my roof, both sides (almost) fully covered, East and West.
    Our photovoltaic is on the internet so I have been automatically
    collecting data every 5min, since the 2019 installation.
    The photovoltaic works effectively as a monitor of solar intensity.
    Total production is 7000kWh/yr. We use directly 1000kWh/yr, the rest 6000kWh/yr we sell to the grid. The other 1200kWh/yr of electricity we need (night, and winter), of course we buy from the grid.
    The difference between summer and winter is of course very huge: summer as much as 50kWh/day, winter can be several weeks at below 1kW/day.

Long story short: winter solar is incredibly modest.

Ok, no need of technology to know it...

It seems you can store warmth from season to season:
    https://www.icax.co.uk/thermalbank.h...sulated%20tank.

Apologies for doubting you, Mossdog.

So this is a ground source heat pump, but you're also putting some heat into it in summer. They claim it's a good way to store heat. I suspect the efficiency isn't great, but if it works even a bit, it makes sense.

Of course, it'll still use electricity to get the heat out of the ground, just as a normal ground source heat pump does.

Sorry a little off topic but....
    We got quotation for domestic photovoltaic battery, so rather than selling electricity to the grid at midday (for very little per kWh) store it and using it at night, so buying less electricity from the grid (for more per kWh).

Questions:
    What's the cost of a domestic photovoltaic battery?
    And how much would this reduce our electricity bill?

We got quotation at 10k€. Battery lifetime 10-20yr.
    And assuming our future electricity behaviour is the same as since 2019 when I started collecting data continuously every 5min, and 3% inflation, our electricity bill would drop by ca 50€/yr.

So this is a ground source heat pump, but you're also putting some heat into it in summer. They claim it's a good way to store heat. I suspect the efficiency isn't great, but if it works even a bit, it makes sense.

Of course, it'll still use electricity to get the heat out of the ground, just as a normal ground source heat pump does.
    No need to apologise guys. Healthy scepticism is to be welcomed, although I wish more critical thinking was equally applied to whatever the WEF, The Guardian and the BBC spouts forth and hectors us all to comply with.

Regarding the house heating, I initially thought it unlikely too, but the 'concrete' hard evidence is that families having been living their extremely happily for a couple of decades now.

Although, perhaps my friends and their neighbours who have been living in these houses since 1998, and have brought up a few dozen healthy kids, have been hoodwinking everyone, such as numerous university research departments, government and local authority agencies, and the like - it's all a complete scam. Perhaps, on days like today for example with sub-zero temps., they're all hopping around indoors in down sleeping bags, vigilant to the need to jump out quickly in their t-shirts whenever a visitor calls

The project does produce a host of hard data sheets if people are interested. Still, they too could be made-up fictional nonsense. Just like those dastardly fibbers from NASA and the moon-landing malarkey! I DON'T BELIEEEEVE IT!!!
    Am Yisrael Chai

No need to apologise guys. Healthy scepticism is to be welcomed, although I wish more critical thinking was equally applied to whatever the WEF, The Guardian and the BBC spouts forth and hectors us all to comply with.

Regarding the house heating, I initially thought it unlikely too, but the 'concrete' hard evidence is that families have been living their extremely happily for a couple of decades now.

Although, perhaps my friends and their neighbours who have been living in these houses since 1998, and have brought up a few dozen healthy kids, have been hoodwinking everyone, such as numerous university research departments, government and local authority agencies, and the like - it's all a complete scam. Perhaps, on days like today for example with sub-zero temps., they're all hopping around indoors in down sleeping bags, vigilant to the need to jump out quickly in their t-shirts whenever a visitor calls

The project does produce a host of hard data sheets if people are interested. Still, they too could be made-up fictional nonsense. Just like those dastardly fibbers from NASA and the moon-landing malarkey! I DON'T BELIEEEEVE IT!!!
    Am Yisrael Chai