Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovery from Ultras

Recovery from Ultras

Having run the my first ultradistance at the weekend and tried to run last night I was wondering how people go about recovering from them. What are your post long distance routines (food, drink and stretching)? How do you get your legs working again the following week? How long until you start training again?

Cheers,

Matt

Super Moderator

Re: Recovery from Ultras

I think it depends on how fit you are before running the ultra and whether you 'race' it or not

My advice is listen to your body; recovery improves the more you do; if you fancy a bit extra to eat and drink afterwards then treat yourself and don't underestimate the value of a recovery run i.e. a gentle jog the day afterwards. Oh, and never forget the restorative powers of Timothy Taylors recovery products from Keighley :closed:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Super Moderator

Some previous discussion here

I haven't tried the brush!
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I'd go with DT. esp if it was a long ultral? What did you do. Eg I've raced the following day after the Hobble and the 3pks. if it was a long hilly effort BG etc then it could be 3-4 weeks, If you've put lots of training in over a protracted period you will recover quicker.

certainly don't rush back, a gentle recovery run is ok after a couple of days, I avoid hills though for mine.

Master

I have often run very soon after a big round but have lived to regret it. yhe euphoria can often mask the fatigue and wear and tear in the joints and that then comes back and haunts you a few weeks after. listen to your body but take a sensible approach too.

Funnily enough Jez was posting a similar problem on his facebook earlier this week. Ultra's do seem to be a little taxing on the body
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

First ultra Fellsman smashed me for about 3 weeks until I could get running again. 2months later after a nice couple of weeks in the sun and more training did the lakeland 50 back running within 3 or 4 days:thumbup:. I suppose with time etc your body gets stronger if you can avoid the injuries .

Get into a cold bath as soon as you can.
    Run today, for you might not be able tomorrow.

Any dark beer seems to having amazing powers of recovery - guinness is good, Ilkley Black, and so forth. Also, stretching helps me to avoid the deadly DOMS.

I did The Rosedale 40 mile Ultra on The North Yorkshire Moors (quite steady I appreciate for you longer Ultra runners) in 6.16, came 1st & thought i was invincible. Had 1 day off, next day a mile in the pool, the following day 10 miles over the moors. I was then dead on my feet for about 3 days. I'm sure this is down to the fact I had only trained up to 20 miles as I wanted to be fresh come race day, which I was. However, if you're not used to the distance, as I wasn't, I'm sure this affects recovery. But........everybody's different ! I wore calf guards for the first time & I'm convinced these helped.