Thread: internet radio

internet radio

After all I'm an expat ...

Any good?
    Pros and cons?
    Does the computer have to be on in order to listen?

Re: internet radio

The important thing is internet signal, not your computer.
    WiFi is great if you're touring (no cost).
    I've tended to listen over headphones from my phone, but I guess external speakers or a dock would work well.
    I use 'TuneIn Radio' as an app: it feels as if you have all the world's radio stations at your command, with perfect reception.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

I did use the PC for Radio 6, but bought a digital radio, so don't anymore (bar missed programmes on i-Player)

Well, I had to do something to get my fix ever since 'Radcliffe & Maconie' left Radio 2

(plus there's Marc Riley & Tom Ravenscroft on there too)
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Are you meaning for here in the UK or when you're elsewhere? The most important thing is obviously to have a good Internet signal. If you're using your computer to access the signal (as opposed to, say, a mobile) then, yes, it does have to be on and connected to the Internet somewhere. So, if you're somewhere with a good signal and the means of accessing it, then Internet radio is great -lots of choice and listen (at least to some programmes) when you want. If you're somewhere with a very slow connection (I'm talking 2/3 world slow, not UK slow) you're better off downloading the programme you want (assuming it's available for download, and lots are) as a podcast and listening to it from your computer/mobile afterwards - trying to listen live or as you're downloading on a really slow connection just results in lots of break-ups and delays.

If you've got Wi Fi and a Wi Fi enabled internet radio then your PC doesn't need to be switched on.

Best Internet 'radio' was Pandora but since it got banned in the UK I have not bothered with this medium.............

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

All you need is BBC 6Music: from Laurence Laverne at 1000 thru Radcliffe & Maconie, Steve Lamacq, Marc Riley & Gideon Coe on weekdays; not to mention Liz Kershaw Sat afternoons & Craig Charles Funk & Soul show Sat eves; Cerys Matthews, Huey Morgan & Jarvis Cocker on Sunday.

Just one great tune after another. All killer, very little in the way of filler (save for a bit too much Kasabian on the playlist for my liking at the mo'...)
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Thanks for answers guys.

I mean here in the UK, that's where we leave but none of us is Brit.

I won't be using a phone, my phone is too basic for this things, I think I'd have to buy a suitable radio. Also must upgrade to WiFi, at the mo all wired.

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RichardAThackeray View Post
    I did use the PC for Radio 6, but bought a digital radio, so don't anymore (bar missed programmes on i-Player)

Well, I had to do something to get my fix ever since 'Radcliffe & Maconie' left Radio 2

(plus there's Marc Riley & Tom Ravenscroft on there too)
    All you need is BBC 6Music: from Laurence Laverne at 1000 thru Radcliffe & Maconie, Steve Lamacq, Marc Riley & Gideon Coe on weekdays; not to mention Liz Kershaw Sat afternoons & Cerys Matthews
    Huey Morgan & Jarvis Cocker on Sunday.
    I forgot about Cerys..."Phwoaarr!", that voice :thumbup:

There's also Stuart Maconies 'Freak Zone' (but listened to on i-Player, due to broadocast time)
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00rwkjd

It's not a patch on his, still sadly missed, Radio 2 Saturday afternoon show

The only programmes I listen to on Radio 2 now are; Mike Harding (Wednesday @ 19:00), Bob Harris Country (Thursday @ 19:00), & Johnnie Walker (Sunday @ 15:00)
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

The best internet radio station I've found so far is Radio Paradise

http://www.radioparadise.com/

A
    really great selection of a wide range of music and best of all -very little to no talking :thumbup: