Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Camera-lenses

Camera-lenses

I might have asked this before but can't find it

So to you camera experts.

Looking to buy a good SLR digital camera. I have my old Cannon EOS which I still use occasionally but i'ts time to upgrade.

My Question is, I have lots of lenses for my Cannon, is there any problem using them on a digital Cannon? does it effect focal length etc? It seems a shame to have to buy a new set!

Thanks in advance.
    IDP

Re: Camera-lenses

It depends on what camera you buy. Top end cameras such as 1D / 5D are 'full frame' so the sensor size is effectively the same as a 35mm film camera. Cameras below those are 'crop sensor', so they are a smaller size. This means that what you get is a focal length 1.6 times what you would get on a full frame camera. So a 50mm lens becomes 50 x 1.6, 80mm. A 70-200 becomes 112-320. For crop body cameras Canon also do EF-S lenses, which are specifically for crop body cameras. EF lenses are compatible with both full frame and crop body cameras, EF-S lenses are only compatible with crop body cameras.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I might have asked this before but can't find it

So to you camera experts.

Looking to buy a good SLR digital camera. I have my old Cannon EOS which I still use occasionally but i'ts time to upgrade.

My Question is, I have lots of lenses for my Cannon, is there any problem using them on a digital Cannon? does it effect focal length etc? It seems a shame to have to buy a new set!

Thanks in advance.
    IDP
    Canon lenses aren't backwards compatible so you won't be able to use old film lenses on a new digital body. That's one of the reasons I use Nikon.

Even some of their older digital camera lenses won't fit new digital bodies......

If you've got a load of film lenses you could sell them and still get a good price because of the micro 4/3 market.

EOS EF mount lenses are all compatible...

A lot depends on Budget Ian if i may be so rude ???? i have after many months just bought a Canon 550D and added a AF 70-300 mm Tamron Lense
    Going to try again....

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    It depends on what camera you buy. Top end cameras such as 1D / 5D are 'full frame' so the sensor size is effectively the same as a 35mm film camera. Cameras below those are 'crop sensor', so they are a smaller size. This means that what you get is a focal length 1.6 times what you would get on a full frame camera. So a 50mm lens becomes 50 x 1.6, 80mm. A 70-200 becomes 112-320. For crop body cameras Canon also do EF-S lenses, which are specifically for crop body cameras. EF lenses are compatible with both full frame and crop body cameras, EF-S lenses are only compatible with crop body cameras.
    Cheers Dom
    Ok I think I get that, so basically if I put on my old lens they will zoom more but won't effect picture size or quality? Any Pros con's. should I buy new lenses?

Trying decide between the 50 or the 500/550. I could get the 500 with lenses or move up to the 50/60 but couldn't afford a new lens?

It's all so confusing, why couldn't it be as easy as choosing a waterproof or some fell shoes...!

Will they all autofocus with a consumer body though?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    Canon lenses aren't backwards compatible so you won't be able to use old film lenses on a new digital body. That's one of the reasons I use Nikon.

Even some of their older digital camera lenses won't fit new digital bodies......

If you've got a load of film lenses you could sell them and still get a good price because of the micro 4/3 market.
    This isn't helping!! LOL

I'm off to the camera shop soon to chat to the salesman but want to be armed with some facts!

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    This isn't helping!! LOL

I'm off to the camera shop soon to chat to the salesman but want to be armed with some facts!
    Dom's correct I was thinking of the FD mount lenses, which fit pre 1987 cameras. Ian The 500/550d are very good camera bodies, certainly good enough for a casual or even enthusiastic amateur.

Any photographer worth their salt will tell you to spend your money on glass. If you've already got a nice fixed aperture zoom and some fast primes then go for the more expensive body. If not I'd get a cheaper body and invest in the best lens you can afford.

Give us a list of your lenses, their focal length and maximum aperture.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    Dom's correct I was thinking of the FD mount lenses, which fit pre 1987 cameras. Ian The 500/550d are very good camera bodies, certainly good enough for a casual or even enthusiastic amateur.

Any photographer worth their salt will tell you to spend your money on glass. If you've already got a nice fixed aperture zoom and some fast primes then go for the more expensive body. If not I'd get a cheaper body and invest in the best lens you can afford.

Give us a list of your lenses, their focal length and maximum aperture.
    the 2 I use the most are
    Canon 35-80 1.4-5.6 0.37m
    Canon 75-300 1.4-5.6 1.5m

Cheers for the help