Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chilblains

Chilblains

Anybody had one, got one or planning to get one ?

My Doctor diagnosed a small itchy lump on my big toe, painful as well at times, as one. I googled it (as you do!) and apparently they can go away of their own accord? She also suggested a Podiatrist/Chiropodist but didn't refer me (and I forgot to ask!) so is this a private profession or can you do it through the NHS ?

Re: Chilblains

I had chilblains once years ago. Drove me nuts with the itching and burning whenever my feet got anything approaching warm so I eventually bought some cream over-the-counter at a chemist's. I was about to say it worked really well, because that's what my memory tells me, but just looking at the now ancient tube in the bottom of my medicine box it's 95% full so either it was brilliant or they were on the point of going anyway when I got the cream. I can't imagine that it's worth a trip to a chiropodist though. Try to keep your foot/feet cool but not cold and maybe buy some cream. I'd send you mine, but it's 20 years out of day so maybe not so helpful. :closed:

Quote Originally Posted by Latege View Post
    I had chilblains once years ago. Drove me nuts with the itching and burning whenever my feet got anything approaching warm so I eventually bought some cream over-the-counter at a chemist's. I was about to say it worked really well, because that's what my memory tells me, but just looking at the now ancient tube in the bottom of my medicine box it's 95% full so either it was brilliant or they were on the point of going anyway when I got the cream. I can't imagine that it's worth a trip to a chiropodist though. Try to keep your foot/feet cool but not cold and maybe buy some cream. I'd send you mine, but it's 20 years out of day so maybe not so helpful. :closed:
    Thanks Latege I think I will hold off on the chiropodist and give it a chance to heal itself first I think.

Alf, I suffer from chilblains every winter. They go with poor circulation and changing from warm to cold temps. Unfortunately once you have had one it tends to recur in the same place every year when the trigger conditions arrive. A podiatrist would be completely useless: better to spend your money on thick wool loopstitch socks and/or Sealskinz waterproof ones, with thin liner socks to go inside. And maybe Heatsaver socks for in bed. Now I know what to do, I never get chilblains on my feet, but it isn't so easy to keep one's hands safely tucked up all the time, and I have quite a few on my hands at this moment. It's important to keep the skin in the inflamed area in as good nick as poss. with hydrous ointment applied regularly (very cheap from the chemist) and to try not to knock it as it is fragile and once you have broken skin on a chilblain you are REALLY sore and in trouble - just touching the chilblain can feel like being cut with a razor blade. Before central heating most people suffered with chilblains in winter. Good luck with yours.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    Alf, I suffer from chilblains every winter. They go with poor circulation and changing from warm to cold temps. Unfortunately once you have had one it tends to recur in the same place every year when the trigger conditions arrive. A podiatrist would be completely useless: better to spend your money on thick wool loopstitch socks and/or Sealskinz waterproof ones, with thin liner socks to go inside. And maybe Heatsaver socks for in bed. Now I know what to do, I never get chilblains on my feet, but it isn't so easy to keep one's hands safely tucked up all the time, and I have quite a few on my hands at this moment. It's important to keep the skin in the inflamed area in as good nick as poss. with hydrous ointment applied regularly (very cheap from the chemist) and to try not to knock it as it is fragile and once you have broken skin on a chilblain you are REALLY sore and in trouble - just touching the chilblain can feel like being cut with a razor blade. Before central heating most people suffered with chilblains in winter. Good luck with yours.

Thanks for the advice Alexandra. I have recently started doing a lot of long distance MTBing while I was resting a running injury and I wondered if it was due to that as my feet were permanently wet a lot of the time and probably not getting the same degree of circulation that I get when running?

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    Thanks for the advice Alexandra. I have recently started doing a lot of long distance MTBing while I was resting a running injury and I wondered if it was due to that as my feet were permanently wet a lot of the time and probably not getting the same degree of circulation that I get when running?
    This sounds right to me. When I used to ride a bike I found keeping feet and hands warm in winter a real problem. In addition to the factors you mention, I think metal pedals take heat away from the feet. Definitely worth looking at waterproof socks IMO.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Waterproof neoprene type over shoes keep your feet warm and dry in winter
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    Waterproof neoprene type over shoes keep your feet warm and dry in winter
    I have considered them Steve (as well as wrapping a Morrisson's plastic bag round each foot ) but what are they like to grip the pedals and to walk in as I tend to do a bit of walking with a single speed at the moment. I did the whole of the Mary Townley Loop the other week wearing some old roclites and I think I would have struggled with neoprene overshoes walking on the steeper slippier climbs ? I might try some waterproof socks first as Alex suggested and see how that goes.

Hi,I had chilblains a few years ago and got rid of them by sticking my bare toes in a pile of snow,strange but true!!I've never had them since

Quote Originally Posted by pip View Post
    Hi,I had chilblains a few years ago and got rid of them by sticking my bare toes in a pile of snow,strange but true!!I've never had them since
    This was my Grandfathers tip years ago when I worked on a farm as a teenager and had constantly cold/wet feet. Never had them since dispite many days with soggy cold feet.