Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Working from home...

Working from home...

Anyone else do it? How do you keep motivated?

I'm writing a report for a client and I can't stop myself from eating Choco Hoops and watching TV.

Re: Working from home...

You have to have an office, or at least somewhere that you go rather than sitting on the sofa. Anyone else at home has to understand that you are working and that working from home is still working, not a day off.

Me and my wife.. routine is the key... get up at 0700, coffee and out of the door for morning run with hounds by 0730. Back at 0830ish, Breakfast, showered and working by 0900. Lunch at 1300-1330 and then work through to 1730/1800 and then out for evening training session..... Final e-mail catch-up when I get back.

Hardest thing is not trying to find the discipline to knuckle down to it but having the discipline to stop as you never effectively "leave work". We really struggle with this especially taking time off and, although we live in a lovely village in the Peak, have to go away to a couple of non-mobile, non-wifi bolt holes to properly switch off.

Lots of loud music, a turbo next to the drawing desk or a run up the Nab when I need a break . Lots of inspiration needed (it's when you get a bit down it can be bad) but certainly better than working in an office. :thumbup: The trouble with working for yourself you can be a bit too driven and not take time off when you should.
    'Take the Long Way Home'

Oh yes and nobody minds when you invite a load of muddy fell runners back!!!!, well Wormstone might, but guess what she is one :w00t:
    'Take the Long Way Home'

I have a bureau desk set up for my company laptop and my personal laptop is in another room. While I am connected to a client using a virtual private network I cannot access the internet on that laptop so it stops me idly browsing but I need my company's Email access so people can get in touch with me. I use my personal laptop for that and to view the forum of course :sneaky:. I keep motivated as I have deadlines to complete various projects. I find I get more stuff done at home as I don't have all the distractions of a large open office I used to have before. Phone meetings, of which I have many, can be conducted from a comfortable armchair and I can also get out for a short run in my local hills at lunchtime :thumbup:

when I did it for a short (6 months) period I found it difficult to begin with. After a couple of weeks I found that I was starting early and burning through my work for a mid afternoon finish. As Nik says it's all about routine and keeping distraction to a minimum. When I look at how much I got done in that 6months it makes me laugh now. Probably spend half the week shooting the breeze, making tea, on the fra forum I could achieve the same amount in 2.5 days at home.
    Adam Speed
    P&B

I'd second that (except the turbo bit). I love working for myself from home but it has taken quite a few years to get a good routine going and I made the decision not to have a tv because I know that if I got a bit down, I'd be likely to switch it on and waste time. I find it a bit hard to relax at times and this year I've worked pretty much flat out including most evenings late into the night and much of my weekends but I love what I do and my career is taking off so it is no hardship really. I do look forward to next year and taking time off for a holiday and spending more time with my favourite people. I also find that if I haven't seen anyone for days on end, it helps to go to my local cafe with a notebook and hang out for an hour. You feel part of the real world again, have some social interaction and often get re-inspired. My running helps masses too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr H Tool View Post
    Lots of loud music, a turbo next to the drawing desk or a run up the Nab when I need a break . Lots of inspiration needed (it's when you get a bit down it can be bad) but certainly better than working in an office. :thumbup: The trouble with working for yourself you can be a bit too driven and not take time off when you should.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Oh yes...and I listen to the radio all day except when I need to do paperwork.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'