Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: winter running

winter running

orocs or crampons for winter running in the lakes?
    im swaying towards the orocs even thow there much dearer than the light weight crampons.
    as i prob wouldnt want to stop to put on take off crampons, hence may be safer with orocs
    unless it was shot ice and may be safer in crampons decisons decisons?
    has anyone got any experience of either/recomendations?

Re: winter running

Thats what I noticed last winter on some of our runs, the people who wore normal running shoes had to keep stopping to put katoolas on & take um off.
    While thats ok for training in a race situation I know who would have the best advantage.
    Orocs for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fat-Lad View Post
    Thats what I noticed last winter on some of our runs, the people who wore normal running shoes had to keep stopping to put katoolas on & take um off.
    While thats ok for training in a race situation I know who would have the best advantage.
    Orocs for me.
    theres another thread from not long ago posing this same question(or very similar) I'll try and find it.

But Orocs are great love mine, although the consensus was the swedish shoes are better.

Personally speaking for a long trip in the mountains I would take a pair of crampons and an axe any way even running in OROCs. winter conditions require winter kit.

A run in the peak or dales though and I would be happy with just orocs.

They grip well on snow and frozen turf but can skid on water ice or polished rock.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    theres another thread from not long ago posing this same question(or very similar) I'll try and find it.

But Orocs are great love mine, although the consensus was the swedish shoes are better.

Personally speaking for a long trip in the mountains I would take a pair of crampons and an axe any way even running in OROCs. winter conditions require winter kit.

They grip well on snow and frozen turf but can skid on water ice or polished rock.
    Ian just when I thought i had my answer re thread on ccrampons foor winter running i have read this one mentioning orocs. I do most of my stuff in the dark peak over black hill and bleaklow etc . Would you say the orocs will suffice . Will they help on the trigger?

Quote Originally Posted by beaker View Post
    Ian just when I thought i had my answer re thread on ccrampons foor winter running i have read this one mentioning orocs. I do most of my stuff in the dark peak over black hill and bleaklow etc . Would you say the orocs will suffice . Will they help on the trigger?
    I guess it depends on the weather and conditions under foot but yes if there's snow and ice about in abundance then Orocs are the shoe I think. I have used ice axe and crampons in the peak, walkers have been avalanched and walked over cornices in the peak but I'd say 98% of the time in the peak you wouldn't need them(IA&Cs that is)

2 years ago Tankys had lots of ice and I did it fell shoes, a few peopleslipped but not lots. The HPM in 2010 had lots of snow, some did it in Orocs but I did it in Mudclaws.

the one thing I would say about the oroc340's? is they are quite heavy

I guess it depends on the weather and conditions under foot but yes if there's snow and ice about in abundance then Orocs are the shoe I think. I have used ice axe and crampons in the peak, walkers have been avalanched and walked over cornices in the peak but I'd say 98% of the time in the peak you wouldn't need them(IA&Cs that is)

2 years ago Tankys had lots of ice and I did it fell shoes, a few peopleslipped but not lots. The HPM in 2010 had lots of snow, some did it in Orocs but I did it in Mudclaws.

the one thing I would say about the oroc340's? is they are quite heavy
    a bit more stuff here

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...ns-for-running

so if im carrying crampons do i really need the orocs as well, got an axe although not the lightest for running and winter kit of course, had winter bg recces in mind.
    trust me to miss a similar tread.

Quote Originally Posted by Woodzy View Post
    so if im carrying crampons do i really need the orocs as well, got an axe although not the lightest for running and winter kit of course, had winter bg recces in mind.
    trust me to miss a similar tread.
    and here although this is before OROC's I think

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...unning-in-snow

If you had orocs you might run for longer with out putting crampons on but when you need to put them on don't wait for steep gound. I know of a few accidents where walkers have waited until the last possible moment and then put them on on a steep icy slope with inevitable results

cheers ian good advice as ever, kathoolas are what i had in mind.
    thinking if i had orocs they be perfect id guess for the lower level icy paths and crampons and axe for the higher level stuff (with gaitors or sealskins)

and here although this is before OROC's I think

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...unning-in-snow

If you had orocs you might run for longer with out putting crampons on but when you need to put them on don't wait for steep gound. I know of a few accidents where walkers have waited until the last possible moment and then put them on on a steep icy slope with inevitable results
    The main issue is lack of ice axe's though.. and microspikes being used on unsuitable terrain...

People are going up what seems straight forward hard neve slopes, a slip or failure in the crampon/microspikes - balling up etc, and they'll be off...

Any shop which stocks the spikes or kahttlas should also stock light weight ice axes and recommend them with the puchase. Due to ski mountaineering we have plenty of options for incredibly light weight axes...