Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best way to carry kit...?

Best way to carry kit...?

Next year looking to really develop my fell running and have a long list of kit for santa this year......

Can anyone offer advice on what to carry essential kit and water in...? Pros and Cons of waist bags, hydration packs....?

Is it better to get one bag for all or have a couple of different types for weather, duration etc?

Appreciate a broad discussion point, but any advice welcome.

Thanks....

Re: Best way to carry kit...?

All the kit you need should easily fit in a waist pack. However it depends on which you find the most comfortable to run in. Some people just don't get on with waist packs so they go with a small pack and vice versa. Try a few out and see how they feel.

I currently use a invo8 waist pac http://www.peteblandsports.co.uk/pro...en.htm?brand=1

however I would prefer something like an s-lab http://www.salomonrunning.com/uk/pro...-slab-set.html

or boa pack http://uk.thenorthface.com/tnf-uk-en/enduro-boa_3.html

but I don't need one, i just want one.
    Last edited by The devil's own; 06-12-2011 at 01:51 PM.
    "That was the night everything changed"

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by pbar View Post
    Next year looking to really develop my fell running and have a long list of kit for santa this year......

Can anyone offer advice on what to carry essential kit and water in...? Pros and Cons of waist bags, hydration packs....?

Is it better to get one bag for all or have a couple of different types for weather, duration etc?

Appreciate a broad discussion point, but any advice welcome.

Thanks....
    Welcome to the forum pbar

A bumbag is it's lighter than a rucksack (generally) but they cause some folk problems with their digestion or just annoy them. A rucksack will carry more kit and can be used with a bladder for water on long runs. Downsides of a rucksack are they can make you uncomfortable (simply hot and sweaty, or worse, cause chafing) and running regularly with one can spoil your form / slow you down

Personally, I prefer a small rucksack to a bumbag. I'd perhaps get a bumbag to start and consider a rucksack if and when you start to run longer distances

A look through the Equipment section on here will give you pointers as to which specific items are worth consideration
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 06-12-2011 at 01:51 PM.
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Whatever you decide, pockets that you can aactually reach whilst on the move are a good idea. That way you don't have to stop and take stuff off every time you want a swig of water or a mini pork pie..!

If you're targetting long winter runs in high places, you might want to consider a running rucksack, specially as you're just starting out.
    Bit of spare dry kit, extra food etc can give you peace of mind, and that extra bit of security if you get lost.
    But I would go for one with bottle-holders rather than a bladder - I just don't like bladders.
    Waist-strap pockets and compression straps are also essential features.

But if you're not running so high or so far then a bumbag should be fine.
    Again I would go for one with a bottle-holder, although if you don't you can get one of these:
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Platypus-Sof.../dp/B004Z94TP4
    I would go for a biggish bumbag at first - 6-litre. Think OMM do one that size.
    (I've never considered a waistpack with a bladder like the Inov8, for reason stated above.)
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 06-12-2011 at 02:10 PM.

A 3 - 5 ltr bumbag should be more than enough for up to 3 hrs of running, if they have side compression straps they shouldn't move around too much.

I've got an OMM bum bag, the big one, and a 10l last drop sack. Bum bag is good for most things, take the rucksack if the weather is really nasty and I want extra spare kit. The two join together for really big days or when I'm checkpointing D of E kids and need to take extra bits and bobs for them too.... Seems a decent combo really, also got a small simple bumbag for carrying required kit in races where I don't want any drink

Personally I prefer a bumbag and I can usually get all I want in there (i.e. minimum required race kit and a little more such as an extra top, 'phone), though I do carry my water bottle on a separate belt. That's partly because I needed to carry a water bottle long before I needed to be able to carry other kit so I got used to the bottle belt (and it's literally just a bottle holder on a belt (Lifeventure), no extras) and simply added a basic bumbag (Pete Bland 3L variety) when I started needing to carry more. But I also actually prefer having the water bolt separate so I can place it independently in an accessible place while keeping the rest well out of the way. Compression straps on the side of the bumbag are a must though. Without them and therefore with the whole thing bouncing around I'd probably quickly join the ranks who feel queasy with a waist pack. I've only used a backpack for relatively short, non-hilly runs (i.e. when I'm using a run to get somewhere else and need kit to put on on arrival). It's ok but I don't like it much and wouldn't use it by choice. Having said that, if I were to run somewhere more remote than the local (west Pennine) moors at this time of year I'd probably want extra kit for safety and would have to take the backpack.

I eat all my kit and strap a packet of laxatives to my chest in case of emergencies...

i use the rock + run bumbag. very light and basic with compression straps. (based in Milnthorpe)