Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Footwear for icy bogs

Re: Footwear for icy bogs

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Why? Shoes will still get wet inside. I've always run and had warm feet with my Sealskins, and these being tighter to the foot will hold less water. I used to sell the KSB, Merrell, Berghaus goretex boots which were better but If taken over really rough ground your feet would still get wet.

I've used gortex boots at 19,000ft but there was very little moisture due to it being so cold/dry.

Just wondered??
    I've used Salomon trail shoes in the past for walking (never use boots) and they've worked really well in the snow. I agree that feet will easily over-heat in Goretex, but I think in cold, snowy conditions they would be ideal. I was out for two hours yesterday in Hilly socks and Mudclaws... my feet were really, really cold when I got back to the car because they'd spent the last two hours submerged in snow. I believe if I'd had Goretex footwear (with a some sort cuff to stop the snow getting in) it would've prevented my feet from becomg wet and cold. It wasn't warm enough nor was I moving fast enough for my feet to have over-heated.

For me, sealskinz just felt cold and clammy after a while. I reckon wool socks are best, as long as you keep moving. Let's face it, at this time of year especially, wet feet are pretty much par for the course. How you deal with wet feet is more the issue than trying to keep them dry in the first place!

Man up ! Gore-tex shoes are a stupid idea the,Seal skin socks are very good for biking but a good wool sock does me fine for running its cold once your foot goes in a bog but keep moving and soon warms up.

anyone tried the sportivia crossovers (think thats what there called)?
    but like you say once the water comes over the top ur feet are wet n stay wet i guess?
    same with sealskins

Aye, just man up, or even better woman up, everyone knows bogtrotting ladies are ard as nails and just get on with it, usually talking all the way round!
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by andygib1982 View Post
    Man up ! Gore-tex shoes are a stupid idea the,Seal skin socks are very good for biking but a good wool sock does me fine for running its cold once your foot goes in a bog but keep moving and soon warms up.
    A few hours in wet snow, with a cold wind, a few winters ago made my feet go so numb I got hot aches (very, very painfull cramps as the blood returns) in my toes. It was hard to man up through the tears and whimpering so I bought some sealskins. Warm and dry (ish) in winter ever since. Highly recommended.

True that Sealskinz do hold water; but I've always relied on the "wet suit effect" - the held water (only a small quantity in snug fitting Sealskinz) does warm up. Whereas wool socks are always taking a fresh inundation of cold/freezing water. Biggest issue for the Bowland Bats is getting back to the cars and finding that we can't untie the laces as they have become encased in blocks of ice. Only solutions so far ( we are all too tight / impoverished to cut laces ) is to start the vehicles and use the exhaust to melt the ice.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Just about to head out for an afternoon run in deep bog full of sleet and ice - so I'm wearing my MAX-Super-strength sealskinz ie the ones that come way up my shins. This gets roudn the issue of water in over the top. They're 6 years old, well baggy but still seem to do the job. I know I winced at forking out the money all those moons ago but price-per-wear wise I'm defininetly in credit now...

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    True that Sealskinz do hold water; but I've always relied on the "wet suit effect" - the held water (only a small quantity in snug fitting Sealskinz) does warm up. Whereas wool socks are always taking a fresh inundation of cold/freezing water. Biggest issue for the Bowland Bats is getting back to the cars and finding that we can't untie the laces as they have become encased in blocks of ice. Only solutions so far ( we are all too tight / impoverished to cut laces ) is to start the vehicles and use the exhaust to melt the ice.
    Take some warm water in a flask and pour it over your feet at the end.

I've never done this, but I'd definitely do it if in your position.

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F. View Post
    Take some warm water in a flask and pour it over your feet at the end.

I've never done this, but I'd definitely do it if in your position.
    Yes, the obvious solution; but it does require pre-planning, which is probably not my strong suite!!
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!