Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's Protein Debate

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Wink Today's Protein Debate

Just separating this from the Today's Gym Session thread, not necessarily my views:

Daily consumption of protein 1g/lb in weight.

Discuss ad nauseum...
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Re: Today's Protein Debate

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    Just separating this from the Today's Gym Session thread, not necessarily my views:

Daily consumption of protein 1g/lb in weight.

Discuss ad nauseum...
    Depends what you want to do - build muscle or piss out protein.

Different strokes for different folks - bodybuilders swear by the above, I reckon that its too much.

Master

Didn't Franco Columbo take 10 musclebolin steroids with his 1 gram of protein per pound of bodyweight a day?

Master

Even 1gm/kg is probably more than we need - and if it comes with animal fat ........

I used to try and keep up with all this crap, and nowadays I just eat what I want and try to include fruit and veg where possible. Nutrition advice is quite complicated and not necessarily all that useful anyway. It certainly never helped me out, just aggravated my crohns, resulting in a net weight loss every time I tried to eat the "recommended" amount of food to "gain lean muscle". I went through this phase in my teens and have so far not been bothered to try and revisit it.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Master

I asked Eavesy a straight question but instead of answering it he lost his temper. Protein overdosing - which Eavesy was advising on the 'today's gym session' thread - was in full swing during the seventies. It came about because supplement companies who sold protein powders saw a way to take advantage of the tremendous change in physiques brought about by anabolic steroids. So they sponsored some of the top bodybuilders who in return promoted the protein lie.

Anyway that is how it started and that is how it is today. The same old nonsense spread from one generation to the next with the same old victims - usually teen age boys - getting hoodwinked by the new breed of steroid users.

I'm not too bothered about adults who are foolish enough to buy into the 'one gram per pound' philosophy; they get what they deserve for listening to iron heads and ignoring nutritional science. I think though that it is good to guide youngsters toward rational advice, so they can achieve their fitness goals safely and without wasting the little money they have.
    Last edited by CL; 10-12-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    I asked Eavesy a straight question but instead of answering it he lost his temper. Protein overdosing - which Eavesy was advising on the 'today's gym session' thread - was in full swing during the seventies. It came about because supplement companies who sold protein powders saw a way to take advantage of the tremendous change in physiques brought about by anabolic steroids. So they sponsored some of the top bodybuilders who in return promoted the protein lie.

Anyway that is how it started and that is how it is today. The same old nonsense spread from one generation to the next with the same old victims - usually teen age boys - getting hoodwinked by the new breed of steroid users.

I'm not too bothered about adults who are foolish enough to buy into the 'one gram per pound' philosophy; they get what they deserve for listening to iron heads and ignoring nutritional science. I think though that it is good to guide youngsters toward rational advice, so they can achieve their fitness goals safely and without wasting the little money they have.
    I didn't lose my temper, far from it actually. Guess I just misinterpreted your response. Easily done really as you must admit you a have a history of being awkward, and argumentative. So if thats the case I offer my apologies.

In response to your question, they are bang against steroids and against protein supplements in the most part. I do see your point in terms of the liver and kidneys being under extra stress due to the increase in protein, but from what I've read this shouldn't be an issue unless you have a pre existing kidney, or liver problem. That didn't come from the sources that suggest 1g of protein per lb bogy weight.

So what would you recommend in terms of protein?
    Last edited by The devil's own; 10-12-2011 at 03:05 PM.
    "That was the night everything changed"

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    ignoring nutritional science..
    Journel of international society of sports nutrition position stand: protein and exercise. Published in 2007

http://www.jissn.com/content/4/1/8

If you can't be bothered to read it all:

"It is the position of the International Society of Sports Nutrition that exercising individuals need approximately 1.4 to 2.0 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight per day"

So thats 0.7 to 1g of protein per 1.1023 lbs of bodyweight. Pretty much what I was recommended.
    "That was the night everything changed"

Quote Originally Posted by eavesy187 View Post
    I do see your point in terms of the liver and kidneys being under extra stress due to the increase in protein, but from what I've read this shouldn't be an issue unless you have a pre existing kidney, or liver problem.
    I believe kidney function tends to decline steadily with age, until in late middle age it is fairly normal for it to be half what it was at a person's peak. This makes me think that those of us who are somewhat over the hill should be careful not to stress our poor old kidneys too much. How stressful 1g of protein per kg/lb would be I have no idea, but would very much like to know. I certainly would never consider taking protein supplements.

Regarding the liver, I read that it has to work hard after exercise to eliminate the oxidants that produces, and that consuming alcohol straight after exercise will retard recovery because the liver proritises dealing with that first. I wonder if eating a lot of protein might pose similar problems.
    Last edited by Alexandra; 10-12-2011 at 06:09 PM.
    Begin afresh, afresh, afresh.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by eavesy187 View Post
    Journel of international society of sports nutrition position stand: protein and exercise. Published in 2007

http://www.jissn.com/content/4/1/8

If you can't be bothered to read it all:

"It is the position of the International Society of Sports Nutrition that exercising individuals need approximately 1.4 to 2.0 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight per day"

So thats 0.7 to 1g of protein per 1.1023 lbs of bodyweight. Pretty much what I was recommended.
    I've read it. This society has taken a 'play it safe' approach which ends up being nothing of the sort. Proper isotope tracer experiments have shown a requirement of 30 grams of protein a day. That is 1/5 of that recommended at the upper level by this society. So their position is 'play it safe' and take 5 times more than proper experiments demonstrate. It is nonsense.

Any athlete taking 1 gram per pound of weight in protein will find they have little appetite for the important fuel - carbohydrate. Their bodies will then be forced in to converting the excessive protein in to fat, sugar and some toxic compounds that make them smell.......... very badly indeed.

I noticed in that paper that some researchers believe that athletes actually require less protein than sedentary individuals. I think this is plausible because of the adaptions taking place during exercise.

As far as I'm concerned if your carbohydrate consumption is high enough your protein requirements will be very low. Carbohydrates are the fundamental muscle building fuels and are far more important than over dosing on protein.