Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Today's Protein Debate

Re: Today's Protein Debate

OK yeah fair enough.
    I'm not exactly trying for the Tyrannosaurus Rex cycling look myself.
    I always found BMF gave me a good sort of all-round fitness and strength - but even that probably bulked up arms and shoulders a bit more than I strictly wanted.
    Anyway, as you were ....
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 13-12-2011 at 10:22 AM.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    I know this is a separate argument - but I'm mystified why anyone involved in endurance sports like fellrunning or cycling would want to bulk up?
    It just adds weight and detracts from endurance performance as far as I can see.
    Actually your cardiovascular ability is partly dependent on the amount of muscle you have. Having too much bulk though is definitely a hindrance in most endurance sports because of the loss of efficiency. In cycling it is a little different because your weight is supported and also because of the selection of gears that allows you to reduce cadence.

Leaving competiton aside for a moment if you gain a stone of muscle and add this to the legs without any loss of speed over a time of 30-60mins then you are far far fitter than you were when you were a stone lighter.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

I know this is a separate argument - but I'm mystified why anyone involved in endurance sports like fellrunning or cycling would want to bulk up?
    It just adds weight and detracts from endurance performance as far as I can see.
    All about a balanced approach to fitness. Could I be a better runner if I dedicated as much time to running as I did in the gym, instead of splitting it as I currently do? Maybe - slightly confused by the fact that a lot of my training is interval or circuit based and is designed to build aerobic endurance & increase VO2 max as well as overall strength; it may benefit my overall fitness and improve my running. Case in point: whilst out with ITB last few months was hitting rower hard to improve 2k PB. Get back running, and without too much effort, setting PBs round all my regular running routes. Happy days.

Personally, for me it's partly a body image thing stemming back to when I was a scrawny (very scrawny) kid. I've since learned to love the confidence I get from being a bit bigger; the improvements in my posture meaning I look the world in the face; the fact that despite being able to run long distances, I can still heft heavy things round the house (washing machines, fridge-freezers, furniture, concrete paving slabs...) until the cows come home; etc.

Coupled with this though, I love the self-sufficiency and independence that running long distances in the wild both implies & affords, the connection with nature, the cameraderie & social side as well as the solitude...

As eavesy said with the e.g. of Mr Karnazes, one does not preclude the other. Main questions if looking to achieve both, are: can you adequately train for both, can you realistically refuel for both, and can you allow yourself adequate recovery time?

Hence talking about help from other sources like protein supplements.
    Last edited by southernsoftie; 13-12-2011 at 07:04 PM.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

I get you SS.
    As you know I was a big fan of (outdoor) circuit training - but mainly to improve aerobic / CV fitness, and to 'tone-up' while staying lean. Not to bulk up.
    Each to their own though.

I get you SS.
    As you know I was a big fan of (outdoor) circuit training - but mainly to improve aerobic / CV fitness, and to 'tone-up' while staying lean. Not to bulk up.
    Each to their own though.
    I think part of the problem may be defining 'bulking up'. At 6'1" & 12st I'm hardly a beast, and probably fall into the category of lean(ish!) as opposed to muscly/beefy. I'm not talking about going for the pro-body builder look. But anything that requires me to put on weight in the form of muscle I would class as bulking up. Another 1/0.5st might not go amiss (and I could probably carry without looking ridiculous).

I guess it's all relative: against a 10st racing snake I probably look huge, next to a rower or rugby player, I'm a tiddler.

From what I understand, the increase in strength will more than compensate for the extra bulk (obviously within reason). I agree with CL again, which is happening a lot lately for some reason....
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    From what I understand, the increase in strength will more than compensate for the extra bulk (obviously within reason)..
    not if it's the upper body!! or I suspect the lower.
    The last thing you should be doing if you want to improve endurance efforts or general CV fitness, is spend time in the gym bulking up arms, chest and shoulders - not rocket science is it? .... but then also not what this thread was about! So I'll take me oar out.
    Last edited by ZootHornRollo; 13-12-2011 at 10:57 PM.

Interesting though, why not start new thread, pose the question & see what happens?

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    Diet is secondary. If you aren't training hard enough to stimulate growth and resting long enough so growth can take place, then no diet in the world is going to make any difference. Anyway if you were building a brick wall it would take energy to move the bricks into place. Some of that energy comes from sugar. Likewise inside the body the building blocks of greater muscular size require energy to move them into place.
    This may have come up before, but due to my ITB problems i only run once a week. Whether it be a race or a training run, either way i run hard enough to feel DOMS for a few days so i like to take the opportunity to help maximise muscle build in view of this. I seem to have tuned my legs to go very fast for anything up to about 5 miles. When i did Skiddaw, 8.5 miles, i was on my arse at around the 6.5 mile mark and i was reduced to a walk up the very gentle slope into the park!
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Master

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    This may have come up before, but due to my ITB problems i only run once a week. Whether it be a race or a training run, either way i run hard enough to feel DOMS for a few days so i like to take the opportunity to help maximise muscle build in view of this. I seem to have tuned my legs to go very fast for anything up to about 5 miles. When i did Skiddaw, 8.5 miles, i was on my arse at around the 6.5 mile mark and i was reduced to a walk up the very gentle slope into the park!
    I had that problem at the Skiddaw race in 2006. I had to walk the last 200meters and thought I was on death's door. Seriously it was 32 degrees in Fitz park and well over that on the mountain. The time I ran that day was 8 minutes slower than my best, but I was glad just to have survived.