Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Lightwt. 4 season sleeping bag

Lightwt. 4 season sleeping bag

Just seeking a bit of advice here - I'm after a lightwt 4 season sleeping bag, pretty much to survive the worst the UK can throw down. I'm pretty small (5'7.5") and feel the cold so am looking for a snug fit rather than a "roomy" bag.So far the following seem to be the best bet:PHD Minim 600Rab Alpine 600 - Alpine rather that Neutrino due to the Pertex lining?Appreciate any advice - or other options - thanksRich

Re: Lightwt. 4 season sleeping

Have you tried alpkit.com
    “Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass ……… it’s about learning how to dance in the rain!”

Last month's TGO ( Dec 2011 - yes Jan 2012 has just arrived!!) had a back to back test of 15 four season down sleeping bags! The Alpkit Pipe Dream 800 got the TGO "Best Buy" award - possibly due to its value for money status at £180 / 1199g tested weight / -17*C rating.
    Lightest on test was the PHD Hispar 500 - 948g tested weight / -15*C rating / BUT £419.
    Both the above had a Weight / Loft ratio of 63.

'Warmest' on test was the Rab Andes 800 at -21*C rating / BUT 1615g tested weight / AND £410
    With the highest Loft on test of 20cm, this bag had a Weight / Loft ratio of 81

Effectively, the lower the Weight / Loft ratio, then the thicker the bag for the weight that you are carrying; so a lower ratio is 'better' than a high one!
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Well I think you've picked a couple of outstanding companies anyway. PHD bags are seriously good & as light for the warmth as they come. Alpkit provide outstanding value & amazing quality for the price. My bag's a PHD, my younger daughter's got an Alpkit down bag: both have proved themselves in cold conditions.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
    Just seeking a bit of advice here - I'm after a lightwt 4 season sleeping bag, pretty much to survive the worst the UK can throw down. I'm pretty small (5'7.5") and feel the cold so am looking for a snug fit rather than a "roomy" bag.So far the following seem to be the best bet:PHD Minim 600Rab Alpine 600 - Alpine rather that Neutrino due to the Pertex lining?Appreciate any advice - or other options - thanksRich
    Rich, I'm guessing this is for the Spine? If so I wonder if down's a good idea because unless you have some serious dry-bags etc there's a good chance your sleeping bag might get wet and that's the kind of thing that could make the difference between finishing or not
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Thanks all - the Alpkit bags look great - but are completely sold out! DT - correct! Agree re down and that's definitely a consideration - but am trying to balance that vs weightt/warmth. I'm only little so weight is really important, and I feel the cold! Do you have any good synthetic suggestions? Cheers

Super Moderator

Sorry I don't have any synthetic suggestions. Good luck with the Spine. It sounds like a war of attrition to me and I wouldn't be surprised if very few if any starters reach the finish (assuming there are enough entries to run the event)
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I haven't actually entered yet!! Still pondering and sitting on a very wide fence!!I believe it's definitely going ahead
    Last edited by Rich1; 12-12-2011 at 11:54 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    Alpkit provide outstanding value & amazing quality for the price.
    if they have any in stock ....

Do you already have a thin bag? Have you looked at layering another one over or under?