Thread: adventure medical kits bivvy

adventure medical kits bivvy

adventure medical kits heatsheets emergency bivvy

Sorry if there's already a thread on this item but I find the search facility on this website bl**dy useless.

I need to replace my old survival bag and wondered if this was a useful alternative for my winter bumbag. Your thoughts and/or any shared experiences would be valued.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Super Moderator

Re: adventure medical kits biv

Mossy, I struggle with the search function too :closed:

http://www.ultimateoutdoors.co.uk/it...0_29879_2.html is carried by quite a few folk who need a 'proper' survival bag for long events like the Fellsman. We carried one last year on all our BG recces
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 10-12-2011 at 06:27 PM.
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I have one of these and will have it with me on all winter trips to the high fells, tomorrows included
    Thankfully I've never had to properly use it so can't comment on function, but is lightweight, packs up small and from what I've seen is a good quality piece of kit.
    Do what you like, like what you do

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    adventure medical kits heatsheets emergency bivvy

Sorry if there's already a thread on this item but I find the search facility on this website bl**dy useless.

I need to replace my old survival bag and wondered if this was a useful alternative for my winter bumbag. Your thoughts and/or any shared experiences would be valued.
    Try this Mossdog, Every thing you'll ever want to know...

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...411#post423411

I thnik they are now coming through though with a Sol brand name or Solar perhaps.

Cheers everyone for the hints and links. It's now on my Christmas list.

My current survival bag is a vacuum packed, sealed, Survival Aids item, which I bought over 20 years ago, the size of a small envelop, so very neat. It's never been opened but I'm guessing inside it's very light gauge plastic. Perhaps it'll be fine, but then again maybe if I ever have to use it, after festering for two decades, it'll simply disintegrate!!! Certainly the foil packet it is encased in has started to break down into fine silver shreds. Better safe than sorry.

The prevailing advice for using a plastic survival bag (to my understanding) is not to use it like a sleeping bag, but to punch a hole in the 'foot' end and pull it over you head, and then to sit upright, ideally on something insulated, or off the ground, such as a coil of rope, a sleep mat or the padding of a rucksack, bumbag. The AMK (Sol) bag seems to suggest otherwise - any thoughts?
    Am Yisrael Chai

Personaly I wouldn't punch a hole through it and put your head through? but if you mean a small hole then yes it could work, However blood would drain to your feet rather than preserve it around your core. Perhaps the best bet would be to sit up in a ball hugging your legs and using the bag like a shelter.

If you have a sleeping bag then laying down is ok. If there are 2 of you go for a penquin cuddle as this shares alot of heat.

Also remember dry clothes make a MASSIVE difference as does some energy food so when I'm on a long training run in the big hills I have a dry bag with thin fleece, spare hat, gloves, Socks, energy bar and thermal tights, my Bivvy bag is also in there ready to use.

got one of these as a stocking filler for a certain someone

Does an item like this meet the requirement for a windproof full body cover or do you have to carry windproof clothing to meet this requirement?

Ta