Thread: calton fell race

calton fell race

Just a reminder that the Calton Race is on again this year on Tuesday 16th June. An excellent entry level BS race with lovely runnable (except for Sole's Hill for most people) course over grass paths through flowery meadows and limestone reef hills with no road except through farmyard and a crossing. Set in the White Peak only 5 miles from Ashbourne and 8 miles from Leek with fantastic views from Sole's Hill. Always ideal weather. The usual beer and refreshments in the Village Hall afterwards. Many prizes for all age groups.

It is a great summer's evening race. Cheap, well-organised, good prizes and a nice course. I would thoroughly recommend it!

Another hot evening, but with a fresher feel, for last nights Calton Crawl Fell Race, 4.5 miles and 850 feet of Staffordshire's finest countryside. This little BS race is tougher than it looks on paper.

A lap around the stubbly start/finish field to thin the runners out and then up a single track walled lane to Slade House before open farmland is reached. A long off camber traverse down to Throwley Hall before gradually uphill to Mere Hill. From here the imposing sight of Soles Hill can be seen and following a descent into Soles Hollow the steep grassy 300 feet climb begins, hands being required for the final push to the ridge. Along the ridge for 50 yards towards the Trig Point then steeply back down into Soles Hollow.

Once in the bottom, a long uphill drag of nearly a mile brought us back to Slade House and then a fast descent, retracing our steps down the walled lane to the start/finish field, a lap of which was fortunately not required!

Around 130 runners turned out and the race was won by Luke Beresford of Matlock AC in 31.57. The first lady was Rachel Duckworth 44th o/a in 40.38. I was 37th and 2nd M60 in 39.42.

This race is under a new RO and the excellent organisation has continued including the £5 EOD, a splendid array of sandwiches and cakes for sale in the Village Hall and, of course, the gravity fed barrel of Bounder 3.8% from Leatherbritches Brewery.

I've got an entry in the Grindleford Fell Race tomorrow evening, another short fast affair but I fear that 3 races in 6 days, with the current hot weather, may be one too many visits to the well. We shall see!
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 14-06-2023 at 12:26 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Llani you seem to be knocking out some regular good results....

You mentioned a few months back you were possibly taking up the services of a paid coach.... did this ever come to pass? And is this the result of a dedicated training plan...?

This might be a good time for another EPO thread.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Ha Ha Mr B.

I think it is my ABV that needs testing for, not EPO.

Yes Travs, I seem to be ticking along nicely at the moment but still have a groin strain that hurts like hell the morning after a run/cycle but is fine when I'm actually running/cycling. Resting it didn't seem to help so I'm carrying on and hoping that nothing goes pop!

Did another race last night, my 4th in 10 days. The Tideswell Wakes Inter Inns 5k. All on tarmac, it starts at the Star, passes 4 other Inn's rather than stop at each of them, and finishes outside the Horse and Jockey.

Around 100 runners on a warm and humid evening and I finished 16th in 20.10, the exact same time as my last run in it in 2019. Happy with that especially as it has over 200 feet of ascent.

I did not take up the offer of a coach Travs, as after giving it much thought I decided that I am not focused enough to stick to a structured plan. I'd rather run/cycle when I feel like it and when I can fit it in.

Most days I am on my feet for around 8 hours every day anyway, either mowing/strimming grass or walking the dogs, so when tired, would not have the will/energy to force myself out.

Now if I was sat on my arse all day things might be different! When one is 64 it takes a little longer to recover. The only structured exercise I do is a Pilates class every Tuesday morning.

Oh, and for those interested, last nights rehydration was by way of Brother Rabbit, 4% Golden Ale from the Thornbridge Brewery
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog