Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: Tebay

Wolverhampton - nearest 'hill' the Wrekin!

Re: Tebay

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Head View Post
    There were actually 2 controversies in 2003 neither of which were handled satisfactorily.

The second one was at Pen Y Ghent later that year. I was spectating on the descent when John Brown passed well clear in the lead and followed the flagged route. The following 3 runners ignored the flags and the shouted instructions of the marshall and took a short cut which helped them catch John before the finish. On this occasion no action was taken
    I also remember a mix up the start of Pen Y Ghent that year where half a dozen or so runners took a short cut that gained them about 20 sec. But as one or two have rightly stated, incidents like these shouldn't really be allowed to marr otherwise fantastic events. I guess that's down to the way they're handled, although ideally they shouldn't obviously happen in the first place.

Right, another thread topic perhaps here, should the other runners in that race have followed the flags like John did? Guess so if the marshall told them to, but what if the marshall hadn't done? This is always an unclear issue in my book. Question is: Are flags there to literally follow (as a must) or are they sometimes just put there as a guide in which case as long as you visit the correct checkpoints without crossing private land etc, then are you not free to choose the best line? (if you deem your line to be better than what the organisers 'suggest').

I tend to assume the latter for following flags can be quite a vague instruction (unless the whole route is taped off like in cross country or world trophy events and we don't want that do we!) there's nothing worse than sticking to the flags even though you know a better line only to be passed by runners taking that line and then nothing said to them. I just feel the rules could sometimes be a little clearer.

Tim,
    In the case of Pen-y-Ghent the course notes specifically state that it's flagged from Whitber Hill. http://www.settleharriers.org/penyghent_race.htm

Must get round to doing that race sometime!

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Tim,
    In the case of Pen-y-Ghent the course notes specifically state that it's flagged from Whitber Hill. http://www.settleharriers.org/penyghent_race.htm

Must get round to doing that race sometime!
    It certainly does ,but the "short cut" Dick Head is talking about was between the finger post cp and Hull Pot cp. As Tim says, it is just a better line and not breaking any race rules
    Anyone can get fit, it's being hard that's the hard bit

i think this subject is quickly suffering from forumitus.
    just shut up and accept the leaders were the fastest and would have won anyway.
    it sickens me to hear such stupid arguments on forums.
    most of you would never go to Bailey, Jebb, Holmsey etc and accuse them of being cheats to their faces.
    so i say again shut up and let the organisers enjoy the fact they put on such a good race and the winners ran a good race.
    end of thread. close it now

Quote Originally Posted by Man from Del Monte View Post
    i think this subject is quickly suffering from forumitus.
    just shut up and accept the leaders were the fastest and would have won anyway.
    most of you would never go to Bailey, Jebb, Holmsey etc and accuse them of being cheats to their faces.
    so i say again shut up and let the organisers enjoy the fact they put on such a good race and the winners ran a good race.
    end of thread. close it now
    well said
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

On a different and hopefully less contentious point here are some more photos. Anyone wants higher definition then message me. http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/ianwee...yFellRaceJPGs#

FellMonster

Cheers Ian,

Simon Bailey looking every inch the hero again....did he win by far?

Why is it a stupid argument? I don't recall anyone calling anyone a deliberate cheat. But when people put as much effort into anything as the lead runners and the organisers do into fell running (in different ways of course) and problems arise then it's bound to provoke debate. Where people care passions will run high!

You talk like no one ever talks stupid on the Forum. OH I THINK THEY DO! I'm only on this thread because most of the posters are for once talking sense and engaging in rational debate.

Are the results up yet?

Quote Originally Posted by TimW View Post
    Why is it a stupid argument? I don't recall anyone calling anyone a deliberate cheat. But when people put as much effort into anything as the lead runners and the organisers do into fell running (in different ways of course) and problems arise then it's bound to provoke debate. Where people care passions will run high!

You talk like no one ever talks stupid on the Forum. OH I THINK THEY DO! I'm only on this thread because most of the posters are for once talking sense and engaging in rational debate.

Are the results up yet?

as i said
    go and tell the guys to their faces. i bet you dont

as i said
    go and tell the guys to their faces. i bet you dont
    No one has even said it on the Forum so there's nothing to say to their faces! All people have said is a few lead runners, for whatever reason, missed a checkpoint and should have been DQ'd if the rules were followed to the letter. I was one who argued that the rules should be flexible.

Show me where someone has called them cheats and I'll stand corrected.