Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Excalibur Off-Road Marathon

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Re: Excalibur Off-Road Maratho

Cheers Dave.
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Still not sure if I'll do The Excalibur this year for a number of reasons; injury, lack of fitness as well as the littering problems last year :thunbdown: .

The new course seems to have lost huge sections of road :thumbup:, but on the other hand, also lost a good bit of the climbing; no drop down to the pub, no Foel Fenlli & a lower route around Moel Llys-y-coed . Also looking at where they have the the CP's there would be plenty of opportunity for missing out great chunks of the course :sneaky: .

If the conditions are as good last years, times should be hammered.

http://www.excaliburmarathon.co.uk/t...rse/the-route/
    Last edited by (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner; 13-01-2013 at 12:39 PM. Reason: added link for route

Well I'm not fit (yet) but I've just entered. This will be my first marathon (done longer and shorter but never marathon distance).

Can anyone recommend somewhere to stay on the Friday night please?
    Last edited by Pilgrim; 13-01-2013 at 01:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner View Post

The new course seems to have lost huge sections of road :thumbup:, but on the other hand, also lost a good bit of the climbing; no drop down to the pub, no Foel Fenlli & a lower route around Moel Llys-y-coed . Also looking at where they have the the CP's there would be plenty of opportunity for missing out great chunks of the course :sneaky: .

If the conditions are as good last years, times should be hammered.

/
    I'm not convinced there's much less climb. The new zig-zag from Cilcain up to the ridge and back adds a fair bit and you don't lose that much by contouring wider around Moel Llys-y-Coed as you end up at the same saddle. The section replacing the drop down to Llandyrnog also climbs a bit. I reckon it's pretty even but only time will tell. Less road is the main thing for me.

I hadn't seen the new route before I went out for a run this morning & ran a slight variation on the "first loop", if I'd been more switched on I'd have ran the first loop properly. Over the next couple of weeks I'll try & get around both loops & post up the Garmin Connect links.

Ran first loop this morning. I had intended to include the loop around Moel Llys-y-coed, but with the weather - snowy & icy for those that are reading this in a couple of weeks :closed: - that would've meant being out longer than I really fancied.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/263977433

Clwydian, do I know you?

(does this link work http://connect.garmin.com/activity/2...SYb5h5hM.email )
    Last edited by (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner; 20-01-2013 at 12:20 PM. Reason: another link

Both links work Good run for a Sunday morning. How do you think the whole route will pan out now?

Don't think we know each other but I'm sure we're at a lot of the same events. I run with Denbigh Harriers.

Quote Originally Posted by Clwydian View Post
    Both links work Good run for a Sunday morning. How do you think the whole route will pan out now?
    Most definitely less climb :wink: .

Last years total stats were 26.11 miles & 1760mtrs. I'm not sure when I'll manage the other part of the course as we - Wrecsam Tri - have our AGM next Sun morning.

Anyone else going to recce it?

Senior Member Usually at the back's Avatar

Recce of first part of race oer to finger post, down zig zag etc, we did a loop back to Moel Fammau, very icy and bitter cold on the top though, 11 miles followed by beer in the Coly

Ignore the course map. I have been in touch with the organizers recently and have revised the course. It is 26.3 miles and 5500 feet. No roads at all. Cut back along path toward cilcain after reaching the ridge is gone. Instead I've gone right over and done reverse loop of clwydian race down into llangynhafal valley and back up. Also added a small loop after moel y Parc. I'm pleased with the route. Should beup on website in a few days. PM me if you want thecourse sent.