Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Salomon S-Lab Sense

Super Moderator
    80 quid? That's cheap for a pair of fell shoes
    Poacher turned game-keeper

should have gone to cotswold

Which version of the shoe would be best for general UK running? I have mudclaws for the worst conditions, but love the Salomon endofit so am tempted by the Sense ultra for long distance mixed trails.

Sense 4 Softground in my opinion.... Copes well in dry and soft conditions but won't quite match your Mudclaws when conditions get really nasty so they could compliment each other quite well.

Here are my thoughts for sense 4 ultra SG: I love the traction and the way it locks the heel. The word softground is misleading, this shoe is a very good option for scree and loose rock. Now the dislikes 1)The toebox is very narrow. The outer part of my big toe hits the toecap causing severe discomfort. If i go half a size up the shoe feels too long. 2) They are too hot. The internal “gaiter” is more than enough to keep the debris out, the outer layer should have been more breathable(like the La Sportiva Helios SR). Also, the SG has a much more dense outer fabric and feels hotter. I think that the fabric of the insole makes the soles of my feet to sweat. It has some kind of fleece fabric on top. I hope Salomon makes the toebox wider in the next version. Ha anyone tried the fellraiser to write a comparison between the 2?

So a wee update and a wee problem. I got a pair of the SG sense ultras and I absolutely love them. The fit is superb and the grip good. Really are extremely comfortable. But, and it's a fairly large but, I'm on my second pair already. I wore holes in the uppers on both shoes very quickly, within 100km or so. Salomon replaced the shoes without question. Now it's starting to happen on the replacement pair as well! It is happening where the shoe flexes, the upper is getting worn through. I have no idea why. Could be the constant soaking they're getting. Maybe they are just not suitable for UK mud! I'll be contacting Salomon again and see what they say.