Thread: Sore knee!

Unhappy Sore knee!

Hi Guys,

Just looking for some advise........

My knee started getting sore a couple of weeks back during a training run and then a race (nothing out of the ordinary). I've had sore knees before but it's always worn off after a couple of days rest. I've rested for a week and a half now but it's still sore to walk on and is getting worse if anything. I was still biking and swimming but have stopped that now as decided its maybe not helping. I can't see a physio until next week and just wondered what I could do to help it in the meantime. Do you ice knees? There's no swelling, just hurts right behind my knee cap.

Cheers!:

Re: Sore knee!

Sounds a bit patello femoral joint dyfunction like to me. Icing your knee is a good place to start as is rest and plenty of quad stretching.

Wink Re: Sore knee!

Did you read the fellrunner article on knees by Denise Park? I get sore knees occasionally and mine's due to poor kneecap alignment.
    Try standing on one leg with hands steadying yourself on something and doing dips - making sure your kneecap goes over the top of your foot - not veering inwards. (i aim for my kneecap to go over my second biggest toe). Do them nice and slowly, just untill the knee covers the foot (i.e not too low) and back up again.
    I don't think you need to overdo it. Try about 10 (on each leg) am and pm and before a run and increase it a bit each week. I have to do them all the time - but no more pain; just the odd twinge now and then. It's to do with certain quadricep muscles being stronger than others and pulling the kneecap one way too far and it rubbing where it shouldn't. Good luck.