Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: bum bag advice needed

bum bag advice needed

I'm looking to buy a waist-pouch/bumbag to use on medium length races and runs that would hold the usual requirements (wind/waterproofs/gloves/whistle et al) and also a waterbottle.
    I currently use a Raidlight Endurance 14L pack but it's too big for shorter races.

I've narrowed it down to 2 that I like the sound of,both of which take a waterbottle - the inov-8 elite race 3 and the OMM 6L ultra waist pouch - but would value any advice or reviews.

I'm quite small and wondered if the OMM one would tighten up short enough around the waist because of the waist pockets, i'm edging towards the inov8 but wasn't sure if i'd get my paclite jacket in the pouch pocket.

Any advice would be really welcome...........please??

Master

Re: bum bag advice needed

Are you sure you need that water bottle? A basic Pete Bland bumbag - £10 from his van - would otherwise be fine - all that is missing is a key pocket, which you can add yourself without too much trouble.

I agree. I dont take a water bottle on medium races. Just a basic bumbag suffices. I use an OMM which I like because of the compression straps so like on a day like today when I was wearing most of my kit I could tighten it down on the few things left in there. .... and, welcome to the forum, Kathyf. A near neighbour, I see.

Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    I'm looking to buy a waist-pouch/bumbag to use on medium length races and runs that would hold the usual requirements (wind/waterproofs/gloves/whistle et al) and also a waterbottle.
    I currently use a Raidlight Endurance 14L pack but it's too big for shorter races.

I've narrowed it down to 2 that I like the sound of,both of which take a waterbottle - the inov-8 elite race 3 and the OMM 6L ultra waist pouch - but would value any advice or reviews.

I'm quite small and wondered if the OMM one would tighten up short enough around the waist because of the waist pockets, i'm edging towards the inov8 but wasn't sure if i'd get my paclite jacket in the pouch pocket.

Any advice would be really welcome...........please??
    If you need a bottle then the Race Elite 3 is pretty practical, it will carry everything you need for a cat A medium including gels. Don't be talked into buying a bumbag without bottle carrying features if, like me, you get thirsty easily. There's cat A shorts i carry a full bottle for, and i wouldn't dream of attempting a medium without fluids on board. Being parched and gasping for a drink is a problem which you can do without! I have narrow hips and the straps tighten around me with plenty to spare.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 01-01-2012 at 04:36 PM.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Well, I can vouch for the race elite 3, and as brightside says, dont be talked into getting one without a waterbottle holder. I get pretty damn thirsty when out on a run longer than 1.5hours, and the waterbottle is definitely worth it.
    And, should you not be out long enough to need a waterbottle, dont take it. You could leave the pocket empty, or, fill it up with other stuff. You could fit a LOT of jelly babies in there.

Im pretty sure youll be able to get your paclite in the pouch pocket. If you can't get it in the one on the left, the one on the right has stretchy material, and you'll get it in there.

you might have seen this already, but if not, its worth a look. It was only a preview, and I havent raced with it enough to actually REview it yet, but I really do like it a lot.

http://testedtodestruction.blogspot....3-preview.html

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Are you sure you need that water bottle? A basic Pete Bland bumbag - £10 from his van - would otherwise be fine - all that is missing is a key pocket, which you can add yourself without too much trouble.
    Found the Pete Bland £10 pretty good, strap to the waist comfortably. for a medium race I can get in all the kit I need plus one of those little 'Fruit Shoot' bottles.

Wow, thanks for the rapid response guys!
    :thumbup:
    Yes I am a bit of a thirsty runner so I probably will go for one with a bottle and after reading the review from you, Zephyr, I'm edging towards the inov8 one, it's really useful to see pics of it next to kit so you get an idea of proportion - it's virtually impossible to tell how big it is from the pics on the various outlets' websites.

Might have to be a New Year's gift to myself............

Thanks again

Quote Originally Posted by Kathyf View Post
    Wow, thanks for the rapid response guys!
    :thumbup:
    Yes I am a bit of a thirsty runner so I probably will go for one with a bottle and after reading the review from you, Zephyr, I'm edging towards the inov8 one, it's really useful to see pics of it next to kit so you get an idea of proportion - it's virtually impossible to tell how big it is from the pics on the various outlets' websites.

Might have to be a New Year's gift to myself............

Thanks again
    Have you had at the OMM Ultra 4l ? I've had mine for 2 years now and it does everything

I've got the Race Elite 2 bumbag which I use for most runs in the hills. recently did my first snowy run so needed a slightly larger back to carry waterproof trousers+few other bits additional to my normal kit....so I borrowed Zephr's race elite 3!! I can vouch for it being as comfortable at the elite 2 - don't notice either on my waist, very comfortable and easy to use while on the move. I was worried the additional weight of the water bottle would be noticable but it didn't bother me at all.

Another option is a lowe alpine fjell runner bumbag. I have been using it for about 18 months and regularly for medium distance routes in the lakes. The spec says 4L but I get all my race kit plus an evian bottle and a snack if I am going a bit further. I know a couple of other folk who have the same one and haven't heard any complaints. Also seems very durable. Only downside is no designated bottle holder. You should get one for about £15.