Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Calder V Round 2012 onwards

Re: Calder V Round 2012 onward

Not sure about that, but I can guess you can always dream - Was his quickest time not 2.17 looking at the 2011 times?, which is very sharp indeed.
    It'd be nice to have a run round it in Summer with dry ground and nicely rested legs - though with all the racing and recceing when the season is in full swing thats usually a pipe dream. I reckon I could possibly do a 2.30 if all went well.

Yes quite right 2.17 it was - as you say that's going a bit but good summer conditions could make a big difference. I'll watch this space!

Third time lucky! First time I opted for the half round, second I approached Stoodley Pike from wrong direction so didn't make it up there and then success today. 3 hours 10 mins. What a fantastic route! I'll be able to do the last section down from Stoodley more confidently next time - so hopefully under 3 hours soon. Must say thank you for setting this route up - it's just what I needed to aim for and a great way to see so many different sides of Calderdale.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilP View Post
    Third time lucky! First time I opted for the half round, second I approached Stoodley Pike from wrong direction so didn't make it up there and then success today. 3 hours 10 mins. What a fantastic route! I'll be able to do the last section down from Stoodley more confidently next time - so hopefully under 3 hours soon. Must say thank you for setting this route up - it's just what I needed to aim for and a great way to see so many different sides of Calderdale.
    Still a good time that. It's a route that does make a big difference once you know it so sub 3 should be no big problem especially in better weather.

Master

I am intending to do this this comming Friday, but I have tried to plot the route onto the 1:25000 map, South Pennines with extreme difficulty. Most of the places mentioed in the route description are not indicated on the map, and the map is a labarynth of footpaths. It really does seem confusing. Does anybody have or could anyone provide a more simple route description with key features that might be on the map, the section up tp pecket and after the Gibson Mill are particularly confusing as is the description from the road to Stoodley. Can anyone help?

The description is intended to correspond to what you find in the field rather than what's on the map. In other words use th description not the map to find your way resorting only to the map if you need clarification. Most of it is straight forward certainly as far as Gibson Mill. From there you just need to make sure you concentrate on the description to pick up the right paths.

The only section where more than one person has reprted problems is where to leave the boundary stones when crossing Erringden Moor to reach the pole that marks the descent into Broadhead clough nature reserve. There is now a more distinct path but I would advise using the map to navigate that bit.

I hope that helps.

Master

Thanks. I have also been sent a really useful PDF from a forumite which shows me the route outline relatively clearly, so weather permitting hopefully will have a good day on Friday.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Thanks. I have also been sent a really useful PDF from a forumite which shows me the route outline relatively clearly, so weather permitting hopefully will have a good day on Friday.

Regards
    OK see how you go on Friday. If you find the pdf useful send me a copy and I can always add it to the web page.

Corniceman and myself completed a sociable lap of a very muddy, but pleasantly sunny CVR today in 2:59.
    Old Mill 30mins, Gibson Mill 52mins, Staups Mill 1hr38mins, Stoodley Pike 2hrs18mins, Track 2hrs38mins, Park Cottage 2hrs51mins

Thank you Corniceman, you were excellent company. I hope you get chance for a whizz around later this year as I am sure you could do 2:45 or quicker.
    Last edited by #1Spookster; 27-04-2012 at 03:27 PM.

Master

Thanks Spookster it was a great day out and and it was really good to have the company too. Nice to break 3 hours (just!!) Thanks for showing me the route which is really interesting throughout, hope I can remember it as i'd love to do it again sometime this year. A really recommendable day out for those who havent done it.