Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bob Graham "Alpine Style"

Bob Graham "Alpine Style"

Might be a novice question, but does anyone ever attempt a Bob Graham alpine style, that is without huge support teams; navigators, food bearers, psychologists and the like?

We were discussing putting together an attempt recently and someone who'd had a crack at a Bob 20 years ago said he thought using a GPS unit "wasn't cricket," an argument for which I have some sympathy even if times have changed. And it got me to thinking that, like Everest expeditions, these days doing a Bob seems to be as much about logistics and management as running though obviously it requires a tidy bit of that, too.

Yes, I know it's an unbelievably tough challenge and it's hard to impossible with a team, let alone without one, but there's almost a bit of me that would rather fail spectacularly in an epic solo or two person (any takers?) attempt as succeed the modern way.

Anyway, just thinking out loud. Thoughts?

Re: Bob Graham "Alpine Style"

Yes, plenty of people go round with minimal support, it really depends on how you want to do it.
    But the convention of the Bob Graham Club is that you have to have someone with you at the top of each peak to verify that you've been there.

Having people with you doesn't have to be the huge logistical backup you make it sound. Like most, I had two or three running friends with me on each section when I did mine, and it was more a case of sharing a great day with people whose company I enjoyed and with a shared love of the hills, than having a "huge support team".

I'm not sure running with other folk is the "modern way" particularly - after all Bob Graham had his friends along when he did the original.

I agree with BillJ.
    When I did mine a put a "team" together but it consisted of one or two friends on each leg that I enjoyed running with. It was a great day out and a fun event for all those involved.
    The point I think of the challenge is that you set your own agenda toma large extent. A winter round for example can't be scratched off the records as a winter round if the weather turns out to be great that day and the full moon shines ina cloudless sky. You set your own targets, 21:00, February, wife at the road crossings or whatever. You do it for you and not so that you can tell whichever forumite is sad enough not to be going to bed.
    In endless fruitless pursuit of roadrunners...

As the others have said - it doesn't have to be like that. I had one supporter on leg 1, 2 on leg 2, 1 for the first half of leg 3 then 2, 2 on leg 4 and finally the same lad supported me on leg 5, a total of eight different people plus my wife sorting out the road crossings. Hardly a big team.

It wasn't my intention to sound like I was passing judgement on anyone with the original question (though re-reading what I wrote, perhaps it does come across that way); more that I wanted to know if an "alpine style" BGR had been done by anyone/was possible? Of course, everyone does it in the way that works for them but the original question does still stand. Could -- with training -- a small man team with no additional support be resourceful and fit enough to do it and has anyone recently tried?

Sorry Divot, I didn't mean to sound critical. That's the problem with electronic communications.

There have been a few solo unsupported BGs. Don't know how many - usually they're unrecorded anyway. Often its folk who've already joined the BG club and fancy attempting it on their own as an extra challenge one day when they're bored.
    Last edited by BillJ; 13-06-2007 at 11:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Divot View Post
    Might be a novice question, but does anyone ever attempt a Bob Graham alpine style, that is without huge support teams; navigators, food bearers, psychologists and the like?
    Bob Graham himself for one! And me (if I ever get round to it).

Most I know, some I "helped", just, sort of have a go.... no fuss... just have a go... ok, they/we will try and partake of current wisdom, and get there mates to "assist"... but often, too much assistance is a downfall...
    It's there, it's pretty tough, it's there to be done & enjoyed... cracking day & night out!

PS solo's, yes... winter ones too....
    Last edited by Luv Shack; 15-06-2007 at 12:30 AM. Reason: bobbins spelling again! PS..
    Miss Muddy Paws Dad....
    Not clever & often stupid..

Quote Originally Posted by Divot View Post
    It wasn't my intention to sound like I was passing judgement on anyone with the original question (though re-reading what I wrote, perhaps it does come across that way); more that I wanted to know if an "alpine style" BGR had been done by anyone/was possible? Of course, everyone does it in the way that works for them but the original question does still stand. Could -- with training -- a small man team with no additional support be resourceful and fit enough to do it and has anyone recently tried?
    I know Martin Stone has done a winter round solo but I'm not sure if this was solo on the fell only with support at road crossings? I say this cause Stephen Poulton did the first BGR solo but had support at road crossings.

Does anyone know who did the first unsupported solo of the BGR?

I had an attempt in 1992, just the two of us with wife meeting us at road crossings, was only a half hearted attempt really as only decided to do it six months before because I got an injury to my elbows through climbing, we got to dunmail on a anticlockwise attempt before we called it a day.

So I don't see why someone who is a runner and allows sufficient time to get ready for it would not be able to do it unsupported.

But as others have said its not just doing the round its having a good day out in the company of friends.

Bill

I recall that someone said on the old forum that Martin Stone has a very strict definiton of what he means by solo - no road support, no pre-placed supplies.