Page 1 of 24 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Seldom visited trigs

Seldom visited trigs

Mark Hill. Who even knows where that is, let alone anyone who has ever visited it? It's just outside the confines of the Dales national park but is located in an AONB. Bizarrely, it's not actually the summit of anything in particular.

I'm going to start bagging these oddball trigs in a Munroesque fashion, i started with Meugher this time last year and the quest must resume.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Re: Seldom visited trigs

60m altitude :w00t:
    not on a PROW (although I usually do a diversion to it, just cos I think it's probably lonely)
    away to the east there is a good line of sight to the Lyme Park hills (Cage, Bowstones, Sponds)
    I'll be surprised if many on the FRA forums have been to this one:

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?X...3770&A=Y&Z=115
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

if you want to join the trig geeks check this out... http://www.trigpointinguk.com/
    useful resource if you want to go trig bagging!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Mark Hill. Who even knows where that is, let alone anyone who has ever visited it? It's just outside the confines of the Dales national park but is located in an AONB. Bizarrely, it's not actually the summit of anything in particular.

I'm going to start bagging these oddball trigs in a Munroesque fashion, i started with Meugher this time last year and the quest must resume.
    Here is a list of a couple that will keep you going - bag away.

www.haroldstreet.org.uk/trigpoints/
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    Here is a list of a couple that will keep you going - bag away.

www.haroldstreet.org.uk/trigpoints/
    thats a better website than I stumbled across - you can search on OS map!!

Some beautifully lonely (upland) trigs in the heartland of Bowland:-

Waddington Fell
    Whelpstone Crag
    Wolfhole Crag
    White Hill
    Whinns Brow
    Hazelhurst Fell
    Hawthornthwaite Fell Top ( very special / was very different )
    Burn Fell
    Burn Moor
    Scriddles Farm

Visited the above ( all 1000+ feet above sea level ) many times over the past 30 years without encountering another soul ( Other than anyone accompanying me ). The other eight ( over 1000 feet ) can sometimes have other visitors.
    Ian.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 09-01-2012 at 10:33 AM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Didn't know where it was until looking just now, though guessed it was Nidderdale. It doesn't look too inaccessible mr b - have you done it yet? Seems like only about 300metres of 'off-piste' heather bashing and/or bogtrotting from the end of the shooters tracks on Raygill House Moor.

Now my local trig at all of 152 metres (in Bramley Park) is officially inaccessible, being on private water authority land, although some have managed it..... http://www.trigpointinguk.com/trigs/...ils.php?t=1579

You need to speak to RobW I believe he's has visited them all!!!! or if not he only has a few to do. He now searches for missing trigs, he recently found one that went missing 15 years ago!

The one on Nab Hill, Ovenden Moor is missed by most. Windmill WHizz and Ovenden races both pass close by. It's a bit of a yomp though heather and peat bog to get to but it's worth it. There's a poem on it.
    http://www.mypennines.co.uk/images/s...nscription.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    Didn't know where it was until looking just now, though guessed it was Nidderdale. It doesn't look too inaccessible mr b - have you done it yet? Seems like only about 300metres of 'off-piste' heather bashing and/or bogtrotting from the end of the shooters tracks on Raygill House Moor.
    Yep, Nidderdale. It's my favourite little bolthole; there's so much hidden away up there it's untrue, you just need an inquisitive nature. I'm up there at Bewerly Hall B+B next weekend escaping a tedious party at home, the KWL Firbank Fell is the next day so i probably won't get out.

I haven't been to Mark Hill as yet. My approach would be from Ashfold Side Beck; there is a thin strip of access land upstream of the Providence Lead Mine's 'Smelt Mill Shaft' which leads you out onto the moors. By 'Smelt Mill Shaft' i mean the one with the Bevel Edge gear sticking out. You'd then follow the track up to Stone Grooves mine, where there is an excavated dressing floor and a ruined water powered pumping and winding house. From there i'd take a bearing from one of the mine buildings and bash through some heather, total distance about 8m.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent