Page 314 of 315 FirstFirst ... 214264304312313314315 LastLast
Results 3,131 to 3,140 of 3150

Thread: Edale Skyline Fell Race

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Im going to use that one Graham if you don't mind...
    My pleasure.

Based in Braithwaite as the RO for a junior mountain top race finishing on Grisedale Pike I still recall receiving a radio message from the summit marshal that two juniors had missed the final CP, were lost in the clag and so I must call out mountain rescue immediately.

Being a RO isn't all beer and skittles.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Respect and a massive thank you, to all the- ROs, tea makers, cake bakers, marshals, FRAers and any other helpers.

'It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.'

I'm a little confused by the relative increase in ferocity for this years event.

I'm in with a very, very amateur viewpoint of 'completing, not competing'

I was 231st of 303 in 2014, and 216th of 242 in 2015(a testing day, especially across Brown Knoll). I had a place last year but gave it up under family pressure - why is it always Mother's Day?

This year I'm a little older, but finished the Long Tour of Bradwell last Summer, and the Half Tour the other week. I've done 4 OMMs, and any number of BM, BL and other MM events.
    For me, the Edale Skyline is my most local(I'm in East Cheshire), not-quite-ultra, testing winter long event

I'm going out to complete it, not compete for a place.

This year, with the reverse direction and the flags over Brown Knoll, I'd like to imagine I could manage the cutoffs and get in before my target of 4:30.
    If I hit the cutoffs and get in under 5 hours I won't go home unhappy, especially if the conditions are anything like 2015.

I'm pretty sure(!) I'm not going to test the RO or marshals, but I would like to hear a little more encouragement for those of us with a day job, a beer gut and a 'keep buggering on' kind of attitude.

It won't help my speed that I am 'the last boy scout' and carrying enough kit for two, for all those skinny b@stards who seem to get by on a wish and a prayer...
    Best Wishes

David
    Cheshire Hash House Harriers http://www.cheshirehash.co.uk/cheshire/

drmorris you is da natural born athlete if you are with beer gut, carry kit for two yet can target 4:30.

In the perfect conditions of 2017 I thought I ran well yet finished in 4:50, 239th out of 274 finishers. It wasn't even a champs race either.

Oh, and I'm one of those "skinny b@stards who seem to get by on a wish and a prayer" - but I do carry correct kit of course - must make that one clear.

Sadly I'm not doing it this year.

I think any 'ferocity' is a one-off due to the champs inclusion, and a bit of a storm with it being a popular race anyway, and similar if not worse at Ben Nevis.

I've noticed though that the entry-list has reduced slightly, along with the waiting list, so I assume that people with inadequate experience are being hoiked out by the organisers and replaced with suitable candidates from the waiting list.

Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I think any 'ferocity' is a one-off due to the champs inclusion, and a bit of a storm with it being a popular race anyway, and similar if not worse at Ben Nevis.

I've noticed though that the entry-list has reduced slightly, along with the waiting list, so I assume that people with inadequate experience are being hoiked out by the organisers and replaced with suitable candidates from the waiting list.
    We've also had a number of runners offer their place to contenders as they can run it any time.

Anyhoo, out for a recce from Edale to Mam Nick and round to Grindsbrook and down on Sunday at about 11:00.
    Should be bright, clear and bloody freezing by all forecasts

Good luck everyone racing tomorrow. Travelling up at lunchtime and stopping in Hope tonight, to avoid any early morning travel issues.

Not raced this one before and really looking forward to it. Best I've managed in an English Champs race is 179th. Will be nice to pit my wits and legs against the best fellracing has to offer, but seriously don't fancy my chances of a pb placing.

Great race and spectacle today. My first time at this race and really enjoyed it.

Wanted to avoid the bottleneck at the top of the first field so I put the gas down at the start. Realised I had probably overlooked it when Karl Grey and Victoria Wilkinson came past shortly after.

Didn't seem to harm my run, as I occupied the 180th-200th positions pretty much from the first checkpoint onwards, finishing 204th. Did suffer a lot from Win Hill to the finish, and lost a lot of time, if not places.

Crossed the line in 3:53 which I was pleased with after setting a vague target of 4hrs.

Could probably go faster if I can manage to improve my speed endurance. I was suffering the final hour. Whether I went a bit hard round to Mam Nick (I was absolutely belting it down the flagstones on Brown Knoll), or whether I was suffering a slight lack of miles after my calf injury (in fact probably the opposite, I suspect then enforced rest did me good). I suspect it was just the toughness of the course. If i'd gone slower on the first half, I doubt I'd have been able to sprint away over that tortuous final few miles. I finished where I deserved.

Hello to the forumites I saw out. Trevor M. Mr and Mrs RaceTheSweeper, massive congratulations on your 50@50. And Tindersticks, hope you heal up soon mate.

Very different in style to the Lake District and Snowdonia races, but certainly no less of a true Fell Race, and a real hard challenge.

With Brown Knoll now paved I think running the route anti-clockwise is a good compromise.
    A boggy (potentially misty) Brown Knoll, then on to a rock-hop around Kinder S edge, was always a good tough finish, with Brown Knoll the main eliminator to those who made too much hay on the earlier good running.

Now, the steep pull up hope brink and the long slog up past Crookestone Knoll towards Ringing Rodger, linked by the fast run off Win Hill, makes a good replacement tough finish, with a similar effect of people going backwards, perhaps more cruelly even closer to the finish than before! I suffered a bit between Win and Coffin Rock but managed to perk up for the last couple of miles to the finish to gain 5 places and wrestle a top 20 - backing myself in fantasy fell running may have helped here!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy