Page 4 of 315 FirstFirst ... 234561454104 ... LastLast

Thread: Edale Skyline Fell Race

Re: edale skyline

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    It's got to be worth a recce, just to see if it suits you.
    I'm with you Geoff. Looks quite feasible to me if you have some climbing left in your legs.

Entry is now full, with two months still to go until the race.

I might put my run number on e-bay!

The race is filled up, we shut the online entries down on Friday leaving about 50 postal ones to go. We've had TONS of postal entries in since then and there's bound to be load tomorra when I get to work. If you've not posted it in already, I reckon ya've had it.

We decided to do this to not favour people with tinterweb who could click faster than Postman Pat delivers.

The full, unexpurgated entry list should be be up on dpfr website this week, it would have been there earlier, but it kept being buggered up by people adding names to it!

When it's up and been seen by everyone, the inevitable balls-ups have been sorted, then we'll take a view on substitution. POSSIBLY we will be doing substitution between club members, but we need to chat about this.

The limit was set by the Peak park and the National Truss. They usually will only agree to 300 but upped it this year to 500. That's plenty for Edale, people live there and we are about to take the place over, and more than 500 would probably explode the sewers.

Jim
    Last edited by skyline; 14-01-2007 at 09:46 PM.
    the older I get, the better I was

Quote Originally Posted by skyline View Post
    They usually will only agree to 300 but upped it this year to 500. That's plenty for Edale, people live there and we are about to take the place over, and more than 500 would probably explode the sewers.
    Then I suppose they would sue you for damages. Or would they dam you for sewages?

This is the e-mail we've been sending out today - lots of them!!!!!!

Dear (fill in your own name),

I am an also ran, runner. I received the 2006 calendar which was sent out to everyone at the same time, decided what races I wanted to do in the year and sent my entries in, then went to the pub. It’s not important whether I ran or not, it’s just summat I wanted to do so I got it sorted. At the back end of the season I bust my arm, so contacted the race organiser of the last two races I’d pre-entered and told them I would not be running. I dunno if the places were reallocated, but the oportunity was given.

This year, when I came back to work after the Christmas hols, there were a lot of paper entry forms & cheques waiting for me which were put on the 2007 Entry list.

THEN we opened the online Entries.

As the maximum number of entries allowed by the National Truss and the PeakPark is 500 we closed the online entries at 450 and the final 50 entries were postal as were the first ones.

If it was important that I ran, I would have entered as soon as possible (like I have for the Ben Nevis) to avoid disappointment.

It’s a shame that runners wanting to take part in the race because they are entering the English Champs, or have a particular score to settle, have failed to get an entry. If it is that important, they should have thought about this earlier shouldn't they / you?

If the FRA wanted us to keep a certain number of places available for English Champs competitors, that’s fine. But, like the individuals who have asked too late, so have they.

There’s no bargaining / horse trading / bribing going off. We will put the Entry list on the DarkPeak website in the next couple of days.

When EVERYONE in DarkPeak involved in this has agreed, we will make a decision on substitutions. It is most likely we will allow substitutions within clubs. Until then, the entry list is full and until it is disclosed everyone will just have to sweat it out!

In the interim you could do worse than look at this …………

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Edale-Skyline-...QQcmdZViewItem

Jim Fulton & Chris Barber AKA [email protected] and [email protected]
    Last edited by skyline; 15-01-2007 at 03:26 PM.
    the older I get, the better I was

Well, the entry list is up on the Dark Peak website - thankfully I'm in there.

Training starts in earnest on Saturday. First of all I'm going to practice sprinting from the start line to that first gate at the bottom of the zig-zags. (Are they zag-zigs when we come back down again?)

Let's hope we get last year's weather conditions again this year.

Master and MR

ive started my long runs, hopefully i wont go off to quick and blow up
    ive done road marathons before but i think this is going to be a lot harder

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    ive started my long runs, hopefully i wont go off to quick and blow up
    ive done road marathons before but i think this is going to be a lot harder
    The beauty of a long fell race is that even if you do start too quick you can ease off as and when the course allows ie. walk the steep bits, run the downhills easy etc.

Running marathons on the road, in my opinion, can be much tougher because once you have committed yourself to a pace, by the time you realise you've started too quick it's usually too late to do anything about it. All you can do is try and somehow survive to the end.

Also fell running is far less draining mentally as there is always the challenge of the next top, the next CP etc. rather than just miles and miles of never-ending tarmac.

I know which I'd rather be doing...

MH

Anyone fancy a recce of the second half on Friday, Saturday or Sunday?
    Starting in Edale from the car park we could run up Harden Clough to Mam Nick and then
    run round the last 10 miles of the course and back to the car park. About 12 miles in all.
    Anyone welcome, especially if you know the way! I will be working from the map. Or at least trying to!!
    Last edited by Swoop; 30-01-2007 at 10:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Anyone fancy a recce of the second half on Friday
    I can't wait until I retire and can go on all these mid-week reccies. 35 years to go...