Page 53 of 315 FirstFirst ... 343515253545563103153 ... LastLast

Thread: Edale Skyline Fell Race

Re: Edale Skyline 30/3/08

I'm toying with the idea of having another bash at the Skyline this year as a prelude to the 3P but i don't want to enter just yet as i'm totally lacking in fitness - does anyone know how many have entered and what are the chances of it filling up this year?

Also can anyone guarantee better weather than last year??

Quote Originally Posted by BigO View Post
    Also can anyone guarantee better weather than last year??
    can it be any worse...?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Depends what you mean by 'skills'. Most of us can't find our way very well but can just about navigate our way off the fell if need be.
    Entering a race like the Skyline without navigational skills is going against the organisers requirements.

Attitudes like this probably cause the organisers more worry than necessary and will create overreactions like the mobile phone requirement.

Would you enter this race without adequate body cover? What makes you think that NS is any less of a requirement?

For my sins I have been put in charge of the Kit check at the Skyline
    and there will be at least one

also spot checks at the start and finish.

So just remind every one;

Full windproof and waterproof body cover including hood, O/T.
    Hat, Gloves, Whistle, Map and Compass, Phone (with battery and sim card)
    emergency food.

Please arrive in time as I'm running also.

Mountain rescue tel no 999. another number may be given out at registration.

Around 180 entries have been recieved so far so we can't have scared too many people off last year.

Thug, I don't think Chris is saying that. He's saying What is NS? is it 1) being able to get your self safely off a hill, or is it 2) being able to follow a route, alone, in thick clag?

If it's 2 then I reckon a good 50% don't have it, if it's 1 I reckon most do.

1) is the most important factor. 2) is nice to have, but I'd be suprised if many runners could get them selves around a tricky course in cloud with noone to follow.

If you rely on following and luck to get around the course of a race, then I suggest you would be just as reliant on these things when you find you need to get off the hill - the only difference being that you will be cold, tired, injured, lost or maybe all four.

Nav skills aren't just nice to have, they're essential, and not just for the race. If you think that going downhill is all it takes to get somewhere safe, read "Judith's Run".

First time ever, I agree with YT.
    NS means you are competant to get round the fells (race route) in all conditions.
    Sense may prevail sometimes and you may decide to navigate off the tops.
    If you do not feel you have the adequate skills, DON'T ENTER.
    You put ourself in danger and lots of other people as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Thug View Post
    If you rely on following and luck to get around the course of a race, then I suggest you would be just as reliant on these things when you find you need to get off the hill - the only difference being that you will be cold, tired, injured, lost or maybe all four.

Nav skills aren't just nice to have, they're essential, and not just for the race. If you think that going downhill is all it takes to get somewhere safe, read "Judith's Run".
    Thug, seeing as my wife and I run the navigation courses for the WFRA you'd think I could navigate myself.

In the skyline? Down hill? Yes, more important would be to follow a calculated bearing down hill. But when did I say going down hill blindly was a solution?

Outside of the highlands its not a bad technique to use.

And I disagree. Look at a race like Glen Clova. To navigate that in clag would take some skill, to get off in clag and back to the glen would be far far easier. Anyone with basic skills will be able to get themselves to safety, but I'd be very suprised if most runners could follow that route, in clag, with noone to follow.

You also miss my point. By a country mile. I asked, like Chris did, it depends on how you define Nav skills. I'd say basic nav skills are essential, but skills to follow a complext race route, alone in clag?

If you think most runners could do that then I'm suprised.

[quote=PlumBum;98067]
    NS means you are competant to get round the fells (race route) in all conditions.
    quote]

I think very few runners have this. I think most could get themselves off a race and back down safely using limited skills, but I think way less than half could navigate a (complex) route alone.

Navigational Skills must surely be adequate for the race in question.

This particular route is the Edale Skyline. Bits of it can be very complex in mist - as folk have found out in the past.

If your skills aren't up to it then you cannot fulfil the organisers requirements, and you should not enter.

It's this wishy washy "I'll be alright if I get behind someone in a local pennine vest" kind of mentality which forces the poor organiser to insist on things like mobies.