Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Clubs and Disciplinary Matters

Master

Re: Clubs and Disciplinary Mat

Eleanor, bless you, but you've gone and shown them the chinks in our armour, the 'battle' will start again at dawn....I'd better get some sleep....And here was me thinking we'd got it sorted, home and dry.
    Last edited by OB1; 14-01-2012 at 09:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    Sorry if this seems like the bleeding obvious by I want to be sure, as I'm advising my club parents on entering races this year. When we say that age categories for FRA Junior races refer to the child's age on 1st Jan in 2012, does this include every event that is listed in the FRA calendar, or just those in the FRA Junior Champs? I'm assuming all events in the calendar, but want to be certain. And a second silly question. If an event is listed on the FRA website events listing, then by definition that event is covered by FRA rules?
    Eleanor - I have to agree with OB1 - it looks like you've just crushed some of Graham's dreams

Wonderful :thumbup:

Time for another single malt

If an event is listed on the FRA website events listing, then by definition that event is covered by FRA rules?
    Only events which have their race Permits (and associated UK Athletics insurance) provided by the FRA are run under FRA rules. This includes almost all the events listed in the FRA Calendar which take place in Engand and none of those in Northern Ireland, Scotland and Wales.

In the printed Calendar those events Permitted by the FRA have "(R)" after the name of the race. The website Calendar also indicates such races.

However the majority of events included in the FRA Calendar but Permitted by bodies other than the FRA are run under identical or very similar rules to the FRA ones.

Sorry if this seems like the bleeding obvious by I want to be sure, as I'm advising my club parents on entering races this year. When we say that age categories for FRA Junior races refer to the child's age on 1st Jan in 2012, does this include every event that is listed in the FRA calendar, or just those in the FRA Junior Champs? I'm assuming all events in the calendar, but want to be certain. And a second silly question. If an event is listed on the FRA website events listing, then by definition that event is covered by FRA rules?
    Eleanor

If a race is listed in the Calendar with an "R" it is Permitted and Insured through the FRA. (see page 11). Some races, eg in Scotland, would not be.

Every RO who seeks a Permitted listing in the Calendar signs an agreement that he will comply with FRA Rules.

Every competitor agrees, if they use the FRA entry form pp16-18, and not the back of an envelope, to comply with FRA Rules.

(This begs the question of whether or not RO who do not use the FRA race entry form breach the FRA Rules but it is very late...)

Fell running is very simple. I understand it. And I, or Jim or Duncan or Margaret will be delighted to answer any questions that you have.

Graham
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Eleanor

And I, or Jim or Duncan or Margaret will be delighted to answer any questions that you have.

Graham
    But would prefer to side-step them if they are tricky ones

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    But would prefer to side-step them if they are tricky ones
    and of course I exempt Duncan from that who I know 100% to play with a straight bat

I did think the others did as well, but they are certainly making me question that of late :/

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    If a race is listed in the Calendar with an "R" it is Permitted and Insured through the FRA. (see page 11). Some races, eg in Scotland, would not be.
    Graham, thanks. I thought so but started to doubt myself. It's my first season officially advising parents and this thread has reminded me that I could drop myself and my club into trouble if I don't get my facts right. I really, really want to get the Ambleside juniors into fell races, and I really, really do not want to get bogged down and / or blamed for misdemeanours. I'm not trying to pick holes in any rules, I just hadn't engaged with these particular ones before. It's enough to get my head round learning to BE a coach and the Level 2 coaching assessments, and if anyone thinks of something else I ought to know but might not, please post it here, as long as you then don't mind me asking stupid questions.

And if you see the Ambleside team at any Junior events, do shout them (and me) some encouragement, as now you know we are new to it!
    Last edited by Eleanor; 14-01-2012 at 10:52 AM.

Just be careful with ages though especially where you live. I believe Ambleside Sports is age at date of first Bofra race normally around 20th May because it is under Bofra rules. Grasmere is age on day because that is what they have always done (as is Kilnsey). Bofra seniors also start at 17 rather than 18 for FRA races.

The age groups aren't always consistent either. This mix of ages in non FRA races is useful because it does mean that they can run some races against different kids. In swimming most of the national age group swimmers have birthdays (I believe) that make them within 4 months of the oldest they can be. The youngest ones never really progress and drop out before they come out of the tight age group categories.

Happy to be consulted - had a quick chat to WP on the start line of a race today. It's a very tricky subject hence why I wondered if there is any science that could be bought into play. My own experience is that you need to be very careful with distance in under 16s but perhaps there may be some scope with 16 and 17 year olds.

Quote Originally Posted by wycoller View Post
    Just be careful with ages though especially where you live. I believe Ambleside Sports is age at date of first Bofra race normally around 20th May because it is under Bofra rules. Grasmere is age on day because that is what they have always done (as is Kilnsey). Bofra seniors also start at 17 rather than 18 for FRA races.

The age groups aren't always consistent either. This mix of ages in non FRA races is useful because it does mean that they can run some races against different kids.
    Yes you are absolutely right - and it's making a bit of a nightmare out of deciding on events for a Junior Club Championships within our club! If the 'age on day' rule applies and / or age groups are different in some races (u8; u10; u12 vs. U9; U12) then it mucks up scoring points against each other, UNLESS as in many races, they set off all the U12 categories at the same time over the same course. But I don't know all the junior events well enough, to know which do that, and which run different courses. All good fun!
    Eleanor Knowles, Ambleside AC