Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Clubs and Disciplinary Matters

Re: Clubs and Disciplinary Mat

Quote Originally Posted by wycoller View Post
    Grasmere is age on day because that is what they have always done.
    Quote Originally Posted by FRAFixtures View Post
    Whatever the groupings, the organiser will not break the Rules as long as the race distances are set such that the youngest runner in any race does not exceed the maximum distance allowed (as defined by the runner's age on Jan. 1st).
    Wycoller is correct to point out that Grasmere, which is an FRA race, states that the junior ages are age on the day of the race. The race organiser always stresses this.

However, the race organiser is not breaking the FRA distance rules because the junior races at Grasmere are so short that the youngest runner in each grouping will not exceed the distance allowed even using age on the day of the race - see my earlier post.
    Last edited by FRAFixtures; 15-01-2012 at 12:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    Yes you are absolutely right - and it's making a bit of a nightmare out of deciding on events for a Junior Club Championships within our club! If the 'age on day' rule applies and / or age groups are different in some races (u8; u10; u12 vs. U9; U12) then it mucks up scoring points against each other, UNLESS as in many races, they set off all the U12 categories at the same time over the same course. But I don't know all the junior events well enough, to know which do that, and which run different courses. All good fun!
    In 2011 there was a new junior pennine clubs competition in which we took part. That had problems because one of the races had different age groups so had to be discounted after the event and another race added. Personally I wouldn't use times from different races over the same course, kids run against each other, not against the clock.

I'm not aware of many clubs who have a junior champs. The problem being that the kids will already be running in Kendal winter league, BOFRA, FRA champs and their own local races. The first three all require a number of races for the championship so adding additional club champs races may get them running too much. My biggest concern as a coach is if they race twice in one weekend, which can happen

Quote Originally Posted by wycoller View Post
    My biggest concern as a coach is if they race twice in one weekend, which can happen
    That often happens though and just like the issue of race distance, some athletes cope fine with it and others not so. Let's face it, on the track we often have kids running in 3 or perhaps even 4 races at a time.
    The typical life of a sprinter is 100, 200 and 4x100 relay + perhaps a LJ in the space of around 4 hours and Lancs T&F Champs will have U13 800m runners racing a heat and a final 2 - 3 hours apart.

I think I'd rather do the PPP

By the way that mud was awful yesterday :thunbdown:

Different age groups are treated at KCAC by giving the first person home 10pts. Now KCAC are U9, U12 as in BOFRA age groups, if a person is 8 (as little Biara was in 2011), they may run in the U10s for FRA and U9s for BOFRA. It happened that for some races, 2 people got 10pts for 'winning' the same race. We have 14 races, best 8 count, these spread from Stanbury Splash (Jan) to Curly Wurly Rat runs (in Oct/Nov). It allows lots of people to do races and its only a junior FUN championships, it gets very competitive and yes we do have some good runners.

Another fun thing to do is a mums and dads championships. If your child does the race and you run, first home gets 10, then 9 etc. Just acts as a bit of an incentive for the adults to have a go as well. This has got a couple of the dads back into running and does get quite competitive. Again at the end of year presentation it's another silly prize to give out again getting the parents involved. More details are on the KCAC website. By the way I didnt win it, I just think it is a pretty good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by biara View Post
    Another fun thing to do is a mums and dads championships. If your child does the race and you run, first home gets 10, then 9 etc. Just acts as a bit of an incentive for the adults to have a go as well. This has got a couple of the dads back into running and does get quite competitive. Again at the end of year presentation it's another silly prize to give out again getting the parents involved. More details are on the KCAC website. By the way I didnt win it, I just think it is a pretty good idea.
    Biara, I love that idea, I think I might nick that one for our families. Showing my ignorance, but what club is KCAC?

Your Junior champs sounds very similar to ours - I'm choosing 12 races for this year (with 6 to count). Like you I've gone for U12 and U9 within the club champs. So I'm trying to avoid races where U12; U10 and U8 children run totally different courses as it would then be difficult to award club champs points for our first U12 and U9 runners home. Also this year we have one boy over 12 so have to think about that! I'm travelling away today for work, so missed the Kendal Winter League race (boo!) but I've heard that we might have had a 4th place in the boys U12 race - if true I think I'm even more proud than his mother (well, maybe not exactly, but you know....).
    Eleanor Knowles, Ambleside AC

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    Biara, I love that idea, I think I might nick that one for our families. Showing my ignorance, but what club is KCAC?
    Keighley and Craven Athletic Club. Many honourable and distinguished forumites amongst its membership...plus one rather grumpy one .
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Why, thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    ...plus one rather grumpy one .

Quote Originally Posted by brett View Post
    Why, thank you!
    There'll be a few queuing up to accept that accolade I bet

What was the restrictions when the greats like Holmsey was a boy ??? or even the likes of the Brownlee brothers ??? Was there even any ????