Thread: Shoe width profiles

Shoe width profiles

Can people give me the low-down on the typical fits of fell shoes from different manufacturers? I've only tried a handful of shoes but so far my experience is -

- Mizuno wave harriers were OK but too 'baggy' around the front of the foot so the forefoot rolled about whilst contouring steep slopes.
    - Inov-8s are ok on my heel (not ideal) but my current mudclaws are nicely fitting round the toes (eliminating the above problem with the wave harrriers) but are too tight around the outside edge of my foot (at the bottom of the little toe).
    - Adidas Adizero's are nice but a bit tight across the top of the foot along the tongue, but ok.

I like to have a close fit, am I asking too much for a close fit without it pinching?

How do Walshes typically come up - wide / narrow?

Re: Shoe width profiles

la sportiva crosslites- nice and snug.narrower than some. I have same prob as you with Wave harriers.

Right to save you time of reading loads of posts I'll give you the straight forward simple answer that most of the other members will post anyway even if i don't.
    Go to a shop, say accelerate, pete blands, or sports shoes.com and try on every pair of fell shoes they have in various sizes both with and without the foot beds, sometimes a thinner foot bed if available, or 2 foot beds if you must. Then which ever fits the best is the one you buy. This is the only way to do it. You can't go off what shoe people recommend or what a website says. Everyones feet are different, hell even your 2 feet will be different so do yourself a favour and get to a decent shop to sort your shoe selection, it'll save you a lot of time and cash.
    "That was the night everything changed"

Although.......I've bought plenty of shoes that felt great in the shop. But, once running in them......

However, as Eavesy rightly said, that really is the only way to buy fell shoes.

Quote Originally Posted by eavesy187 View Post
    Right to save you time of reading loads of posts I'll give you the straight forward simple answer that most of the other members will post anyway even if i don't.
    Go to a shop, say accelerate, pete blands, or sports shoes.com and try on every pair of fell shoes they have in various sizes both with and without the foot beds, sometimes a thinner foot bed if available, or 2 foot beds if you must. Then which ever fits the best is the one you buy. This is the only way to do it. You can't go off what shoe people recommend or what a website says. Everyones feet are different, hell even your 2 feet will be different so do yourself a favour and get to a decent shop to sort your shoe selection, it'll save you a lot of time and cash.
    excellent answer and should be 'stickied' to the Equipment thread to put an end to this type of post :thumbup:
    Adam Speed
    P&B

walshes narrow fitting but they also do a wider width to

but as above, try before you buy!

For the benefit of anyone facing a similar dilemna I went to Accelerate and they spent some time with me. My feet aren't particularly wide, in fact they're a standard width, its just that they are an odd shape. I found that the La Sportiva crosslites seem to be the best bet, but as said earlier only time out and about will really tell.