Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Northern & National XC Champs

Re: Northern & National XC Cha

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert Nocurry View Post

I
    haven't always been a wheezing, asthmatic like, middle aged jogger you know Witton.

On a more serious note though, whilst discussing this topic at work with a fellow runner this afternoon, I had it pointed out to me that the officials at these events have to stand around for what can be upto an hour and a half for some athletes to finish and that a bit of consideration for others would be nice from the extreme back markers (i.e those outside the one hour mark.) This is an angle that i hadn't previously considered before.
    That happens at league races and county champs as well. It's usually a source of respectful merriment to the officials waiting for the tail enders to come in. I've never known one begrudge the wait.

Quote Originally Posted by The General View Post

I think the Northern and the National should be screened for standards. At Alton Towers and at Leeds the year before there were far too many porkers from clubs like Rochdale, Altrincham and Salford Met.

I bet when you saw the sign thatsaid 'chip tent' on the start line, you thought your luck was really in didn't you Danbert? :sneaky:

:wink:

To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

I quite like the practise in cyclocross of winner finishes, then everyone completes the lap they're on. Big hooter after an hour?

I've always loved the Nationals, Northerns and North Easterns. The mass starts are what its about!! I wouldnt see it changed for the world! Everyone knows the score, including the marshals(...thank you marshals!!). There's plenty of elite races for, purely, elite athletes. One thing that does, occasionally, bother me, is when they start taking the course down before people complete!!....and I know people want to get home but it looks a bit sad for poor back markers. Oh!and Steve Cram's a miserable g*t too. I once got lapped by him. I said 'Go on Steve', and he gave me a right nasty look!!....was I too informal I wonder!!

Just heard that I can't run at the Northern XC Champs as Vegan Runners UK aren't registered with Northern Athletics ONLY England Athletics.

Seems petty to me but at least it means I can run my legs off at the Stanbury Splash without worrying about next weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by that_fjell_guy View Post
    I've always loved the Nationals, Northerns and North Easterns. The mass starts are what its about!! I wouldnt see it changed for the world! Everyone knows the score, including the marshals(...thank you marshals!!). There's plenty of elite races for, purely, elite athletes. One thing that does, occasionally, bother me, is when they start taking the course down before people complete!!....and I know people want to get home but it looks a bit sad for poor back markers. Oh!and Steve Cram's a miserable g*t too. I once got lapped by him. I said 'Go on Steve', and he gave me a right nasty look!!....was I too informal I wonder!!
    Ha ha ha you don't suppose Cram maybe fu**ed and couldn't raise anything but a look of hate do you ???

As one of the "quicker" guys about I'd say that the prestige of events like the Northern and National is enhanced by the all-inclusive nature of the event. I can't for the life of me imagine why people want to run round at the back and get lapped twice but I'm glad they do as they add a huge amount to the occasion and turn the championships into superb events that are the true focus of the season for all, irrespective of standard.

That all being said, I'll admit that the number of back markers can become an issue on 4-lap and, to a lesser extent, 3-lap courses (Witton Park suffers particularly in this regard in my view) and, where possible, this should be taken into account in choices of venue and course setup.
    Leeds City AC: "Pure Sporting Delight"

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Track Fairy View Post
    I'll admit that the number of back markers can become an issue on 4-lap and, to a lesser extent, 3-lap courses (Witton Park suffers particularly in this regard in my view)
    Witton Park should spend less time on here posting about politics etc, and more time doing speedwork, then he wouldn't be a back marker :thumbup:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    That happens at league races and county champs as well. It's usually a source of respectful merriment to the officials waiting for the tail enders to come in. I've never known one begrudge the wait.
    I did a 5K (track) county champs once. Got lapped by the first two runners (and ran wide for them), got a bronze medal. It was a hot day and apparently only three of us could be bothered racing! My mate did the steeplechase by himself, smacked his shins on the water jump, and got gold

If lapping in a XC is a problem (I find it hard to believe it's that much of a problem, things tend to be quite spaced out at the back except in big marathons!) then why not just introduce a cut-off time a la long fell races. If you want to have a qualifier as well, by all means, but make it a lower bar than the cut-off, as otherwise people end up training to qualify rather than training to race..

Quote Originally Posted by nutkey View Post
    I did a 5K (track) county champs once. Got lapped by the first two runners (and ran wide for them), got a bronze medal. It was a hot day and apparently only three of us could be bothered racing! My mate did the steeplechase by himself, smacked his shins on the water jump, and got gold

If lapping in a XC is a problem (I find it hard to believe it's that much of a problem, things tend to be quite spaced out at the back except in big marathons!) then why not just introduce a cut-off time a la long fell races. If you want to have a qualifier as well, by all means, but make it a lower bar than the cut-off, as otherwise people end up training to qualify rather than training to race..
    The difference between lapping on the track and on the country is that on the country, athletes are less likely to take a straight line. What tends to happen, particularly when it's muddy is that the field are scattered across the width of the course. This is exasperated if the course narrows, with the leaders having to pick their way through the back markers.