Thread: Development of Young Athletes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Development of Young Athletes

So that we don't contaminate another thread, let's have one about this. Let's keep it free from cynicism if we can and make contributions that are with a purpose.

There are lots of questions and the answers are probably even more numerous, so rather than getting in to a debate on the rules and race lengths which is a relatively minor issue perhaps we should try and answer some of the questions first.

The first minute a junior athlete walks through the doors for their first session what is the end goal? Should we even have one? What would be deemed success? When can that success be judged.

Should coaches have more say in the competitive structuresif they are those with most responsibility for the outcome.

What is the FRA role in this as the governing body?

Dealing with the first point, when I first get an athlete I try to engage with them and their parents. Enthuse them about how much fun they can have and the wide range of positive experiences out there for endurance runners. They can take part in events as varied as National Young Athletes League, Road and Cross Country Relays and Junior Fell races as well as the wide variety of Championship races out there in all disciplines.
    Then we have the relationships. Best friends can be made for life, not just within your own club, but with athletes from other clubs. Travelling to some of the most beautiful places in the country - and eventually perhaps the world.
    If I can enthuse them and immerse them in the sport, there is then a much better chance of achieving success. Success for me is seeing that athlete and perhaps their family still involved and loving the sport in to adulthood.

As a coach, I do think we should have more say. We should be consulted - but that's as far as it goes. We will have too many differing ideas. That's the nature of coaching. But there will be some common threads and the custodians of the sport should put more faith in coaches than they do at present.

The FRA is doing more or less what it should. Itr provides a framework for the sport and in most areas it does a fantastic job. Unlike many other governing bodies I also feel that it looks to improve, listens and adapts. Perhaps because the FRA is made up of people who also have a love for the sport, there is a greater link to the grass roots than you find with UKA/EA where paid officers seem to be of the opinion that their degrees and salary count more than years of experience.

Master

Re: Development of Young Athle

Bravo. 1) agree - enjoyment and long term involvement, 2) agree - provide knowledgeable consultation, and 3) agree - provide a suitable framework.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    The first minute a junior athlete walks through the doors for their first session what is the end goal? Should we even have one? What would be deemed success? When can that success be judged.
    Great question WP.

- Is it to bring youngsters into fell running so that they are still involved as adults?
    - Or to support their potential in the sport as youngsters, as an end in itself, with no relationship to their adult life?
    - To share our own joy of the sport and of racing with youngsters, so that they can enjoy the physical, emotional and social benefits, develop their resiliance, self-confidence, etc?
    - To bring new blood into a fell running club - bringing talent through from a young age, from the club point of view?
    - To support the wider goal of bringing talented youngsters into competition and thus raising competitive standards of endurance running in the future (finding the minority who are naturally talented at this age)?
    - To encourage them to enter and enjoy endurance events even when they are not naturally talented runners (most members of the population fall into this category)?

All these possible answers have merit and I wonder if the background / talent of the coach themself has a bearing on their own point of view? I know it does on mine.
    Eleanor Knowles, Ambleside AC

To have fun and enjoy themselves first and foremost. About 70-80 children from 6-18 come on KCAC nights, some for competitive training, others to keep fit, some as their parents are running, others because their friends are going, no children are 'forced' to be competitive, there is a club fell championships it is encouraged but not compulsory. (and yes, I know WP you don't force people at BBH, I just can't think of a better word!!).

Those who want to succeed are shown how to get better by club coaches but we aim to deal with all children. There is a written coaching itinerary and now, all are 'graded' after lots of tests. Specific coaches work with each group based on ability, same caoches, with same group every week. But if children are not enjoying it, they wont come back and you will have wasted your time.

So far we seem to agree fun, social etc.

But there comes a time that we have to realise we are all in athletics clubs. We compete, we go as a club and our athletes compete individually and as team members.
    That is in reality the purpose of our existence.

Should we expect any athlete that comes to us to work to get better?

40 plus juniors turning up at CVFr every Tues regardless of weather and with only fell running to tempt them. I believe that when they come for their first session then we should have agoal straight away. The goal should be that they turn up for their second session. They wont if they havent enjoyed themselves.
    From that number of kids we have just a handful who race regularly and not many more who race at all. That isnt the reason they come. Having fun getting muddy and just a little bit tired is enough. I make them aware of races both locally and nationally and we have a junior championship series fo 10 races each year to encourage them to try to develop. When they show an intereste then i support them all I can, engaging with parents has to be important in terms of getting them to races making sure they know what they are letting themselves in for. Positive feedback is good and always finding out how they have done to be able to let them know that I know how they are doing is good. Always for me its about telling them to go out and enjoy it. Even with ours juniors who are on the edge of national success, achieving national success and international success my last words to them before any race once the planning is done is to go out and enjoy the experience.
    "Moors are a stage for the performance of heaven"

Agree with lots of CCR post, enjoyment is the thing that is paramount. More and more juniors are attempting our club champs but it is not the be all and end all. Yesterdays stanbury splash rat run had loads of juniors out, it was wet, very windy and pretty cold, but seeing a hell of alot of smiling faces made it a success. Juniors smiling when you shout encouragement and clap them through, that is a success. Yes, they should want to improve but improvement through having fun and 'not realising' they are working hard is to me, what it is all about.

If they enjoy the juniors, they are more likely to go into the seniors. I always want little biara to finish smiling and having enjoyed the race, I want her to still be doing sport when she is grown up (only 9 now). To me, I think I am hitting the balance right as after 3 years, she is still involved and still wants to do more. As CCR says, the experience is what it's all about.