Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 9101112 LastLast

Thread: Development of Young Athletes

Re: Development of Young Athle

Seems thats what we have been saying for sometime now. Is there a way forward. Is it even something that the FRA will bother to allow discussions on as it seems that the next step is actually about making the official discussions happen.
    "Moors are a stage for the performance of heaven"

I havent really thought about the metrification of junior distances until now. I hadnt realised that the maximum distances dont equate as they did for any age group which means as a RO of 3 junior races I will have to look to sort out new routes for some age groups which is a real pain. U8 used to do up to .5 mile and can now do up to .62m. U10 used to me up to 1m and is now 1.24m. U12 was up to 2m and is now only 1.86m. U14 was up to 3m and is now 3.1m. u16 was up to 4m and is now 4.34m and U18 was 6m and is now 6.2m. It doesnt seem right to me that some age groups have increased and some decreased. Why was the U12 route at Coiners perfectly OK for U12 last year but is now too long. Surely their max distance should have been changed to 3.5km and then all age groups would have gone up slightly. Why is it that U16 can now race up to a third of a mile further than they could before yet we are still arguing about how far it is Ok for juniors to run. If we are being so careful about not extending our juniors then the U16 metric distance should have been 6.5km. It seems the FRA can change distances when it suits them.

Quote Originally Posted by Clash City Rocker View Post
    I havent really thought about the metrification of junior distances until now. I hadnt realised that the maximum distances dont equate as they did for any age group which means as a RO of 3 junior races I will have to look to sort out new routes for some age groups which is a real pain. U8 used to do up to .5 mile and can now do up to .62m. U10 used to me up to 1m and is now 1.24m. U12 was up to 2m and is now only 1.86m. U14 was up to 3m and is now 3.1m. u16 was up to 4m and is now 4.34m and U18 was 6m and is now 6.2m. It doesnt seem right to me that some age groups have increased and some decreased. Why was the U12 route at Coiners perfectly OK for U12 last year but is now too long. Surely their max distance should have been changed to 3.5km and then all age groups would have gone up slightly. Why is it that U16 can now race up to a third of a mile further than they could before yet we are still arguing about how far it is Ok for juniors to run. If we are being so careful about not extending our juniors then the U16 metric distance should have been 6.5km. It seems the FRA can change distances when it suits them.
    As they are "up to", the only one you may have to review is the U12 race and only then if it was at the top end. I'd be tempted to just leave it for what it's worth.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    Thus potentially in breach of a UKA rule.
    Indeed which would appear to be the whole essence of this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    As they are "up to", the only one you may have to review is the U12 race and only then if it was at the top end. I'd be tempted to just leave it for what it's worth.
    It was bang on 2 miles and is now irrationally too long. Potentially if it gets round to being a championship race again then this could lead to any number of complaints from sore losers and parents of sore losers who may have been perfectly happy with the race last year.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    Thus potentially in breach of a UKA rule.
    Check out the UKA Rules on Fell Running - I think you'll find the odd "deliberate" mistake in there - certainly there is conflict with the FRA Rules - so you could have a situation where you are in breach of one, but not the other.

Give us a smile

Well going from UKA rule 410 I think the 2 mile limit still applies, it's just been rounded to 3km. So you can keep the same U12 course Al. Hopefully an FRA committee member can clarify the situation.
    UKA rules 2010
    It looks like they've got themselves in a mess over rounding to the nearest mile/km. The options for metricating the U16 distance could have been 6km, 6.5km, or 7km. No-one seems to like 1/2 km distance limits, let alone a 3.2km limit.

What on earth does this mean for track (given that Richard has mentioned this earlier in the thread):
    UKA 2012-2014 Rule Amendments
    5. Under 15’s should not be able to run two 1500’s in one day: This usually occurs in events such as County Championships where the competition provider holds a heat and final in one day. It is agreed that there will be no change to this rule, only to monitor the situation in case of any bad practice.
    Maybe they meant "is most likely to occur" rather than "usually occurs"? The way it is written comes across as meaning they will continue to allow it to happen, in breach of the rules.

The 2 x 1500m in a day has been an issue as long as I can remember with most grass roots people believing the rules are broken at Champs. The irony of it is, it is not "breached" by local open meets, but but the Championships. It happens at County Champs sometimes when there are too many U15 or U13 for a straight finals.
    It happens at Area Champ always.
    Rule 107(iv)
    (iv) No athlete in this age group is allowed to compete in any race at
    300 metres and 400 metres, nor in more than one different event
    between 600 metres and 1500 metres inclusive on the same day.

This is what is in place and I think the key here in the UKA rule is the "more than one different event" as opposed to "race".

A heat and final is seen as one event.

The proposal put forward to the rules review body was to stop them doing this - but it was decided to leave things alone.

I can see the logic.

If you allow (for example) an U13 to take part in an 800m and then later a 1500m at an open meet or league meeting they will be racing flat out.

At Area Champs for example, in the heat, the ones that qualify tend to have an easier race than those that don't, so those that qualify for the final haven't really got a true race in their legs.
    Of course there will be the last few qualifiers who may have had to run for a fastest loser spot or had a race out for the last automatic slot, but it does seem to work.

The main interesting point in UKA rules is that they allow the athletes to compete up an age group.
    Again from UKA Rule 107
    (v) Under 13’s may run against Under 15 Boys or Girls, as
    appropriate, in track events not exceeding 1500 metres, subject to
    any limitations as to standard laid down by the organisers. They
    may not take part in competitions in any other age group.
    (vi) Under 13’s may compete against Under 15 Boys or Girls, as
    appropriate, in field events, provided that the implements used
    by them shall be those laid down for the Under 15 age group.
    They may not take part in competitions in any other age group.

I think I understand (no thanks to UKA wording!):

Under the heading UKA Executive Board has approved the following Rule amendments for 2012-2014 are 6 items, but items 5 and 6 both list rule changes that have not taken place. You have to read the small print very closely!

Hence amendment 5 does not alter the situation that you have just explained, regarding a 1500 heat & final being considered one 'event'.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    The 2 x 1500m in a day has been an issue as long as I can remember with most grass roots people believing the rules are broken at Champs. The irony of it is, it is not "breached" by local open meets, but but the Championships. It happens at County Champs sometimes when there are too many U15 or U13 for a straight finals.
    It happens at Area Champ always.
    Rule 107(iv)
    (iv) No athlete in this age group is allowed to compete in any race at
    300 metres and 400 metres, nor in more than one different event
    between 600 metres and 1500 metres inclusive on the same day.

This is what is in place and I think the key here in the UKA rule is the "more than one different event" as opposed to "race".

A heat and final is seen as one event.

The proposal put forward to the rules review body was to stop them doing this - but it was decided to leave things alone.

I can see the logic.

If you allow (for example) an U13 to take part in an 800m and then later a 1500m at an open meet or league meeting they will be racing flat out.

At Area Champs for example, in the heat, the ones that qualify tend to have an easier race than those that don't, so those that qualify for the final haven't really got a true race in their legs.
    Of course there will be the last few qualifiers who may have had to run for a fastest loser spot or had a race out for the last automatic slot, but it does seem to work.

The main interesting point in UKA rules is that they allow the athletes to compete up an age group.
    Again from UKA Rule 107
    (v) Under 13’s may run against Under 15 Boys or Girls, as
    appropriate, in track events not exceeding 1500 metres, subject to
    any limitations as to standard laid down by the organisers. They
    may not take part in competitions in any other age group.
    (vi) Under 13’s may compete against Under 15 Boys or Girls, as
    appropriate, in field events, provided that the implements used
    by them shall be those laid down for the Under 15 age group.
    They may not take part in competitions in any other age group.
    Richard I don't think it does work and I know because I competed in area 1500m heats and finals on the same day when I was 14. Yes some of the races were staged with sprint finishes but I decided I was going to make the final, and to be sure I had to drag the faster kids around at a pace I knew they wouldn't really want to go in a heat.

Anyway I made the final but I was so tired from my exertions that I ran rubbish. Unfortunately for some of the faster kids in my heat they were also tired for the final. In fact you could say I messed up their chances.