Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jacob's Ladder

Re: Jacob's Ladder

I'm still hammering this machine as part of my BG training and I think it's beginning to pay off. Most of the lard-arses in my gym spend 10 minutes max on it and get off looking like they're ready to die, but I think it's good training for a fell runner. It's hard to spend much more than an hour on it because of the strain on your back/wrists (you have to hold on to the rails on either side of the ladder or the ladder itself), but I've typically being doing 30 minute or 45 minute sessions on it and have seen my HR come down significantly for the same amount of altitude climbed. 45 minutes usually equates to a climb rate of 80 - 90 ft/min and my target is 4000ft minimum, last night I cracked 4100ft and it was pretty steady. The gym staff have held some challenges and I'm currently leading the 3000ft table in 29.19mins (to be fair, only 5 others have attempted this) and I have the 15 minute record with 1530ft. The one I can't touch is the 5-minute record, some bloke has well got me beaten with 583ft, meaning a climb rate of about 116ft/min. I reckon this is because he has the extra bodyweight to get the thing going, when I get to about 110ft/min I start climbing off the thing!!

Right, I'll get back in me box
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Sounds like a really good peice of kit! I've said in other threads how much the cross trainer has helped me improve my leg strength. This thing sounds even better for fell training!! No idea where I can have a go tho' as I'm no longer in a gym.
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com

Martyn, what gym are you using ? You're in Harrogate aren't you

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyfeet View Post
    Martyn, what gym are you using ? You're in Harrogate aren't you
    Yep. Will PM you.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners