Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thigh problem

Thigh problem

Alreet bit new to this injury lark.Went out last week and did BG legs 1 and 2 and after that noticed the very top of my thigh felt a bit funny afterwards thought nothing of it.But yesterday did the 3 Peaks and afterwards it really hurt and struggled to lift my leg up,from looking at diagram its the Rectus femoris (on the front of thigh at the very top)

Any ideas on how to get rid of it ?

Super Moderator

Re: Thigh problem

Have you tried icing it? Get a bag of frozen peas or simply some ice cubes, wrap in an old shirt or tea towel and hold on the affected area for 10 or 15minutes. Repeat every three or four hours
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Rec Fem sounds about right. Probably muscle strain.

Rest and ice are the best things for it. But as you're a fell runner, you'll probably go "oh, ok" and carry on running until either a)it heals or b) it stops you from running altogether.
    Ice it and lay off running for a week or so, you'll be right as rain.

I suspect you may have 'over used' it a little climbing those hills! Have a look at this article re angles. I'm experiencing something similar, but from a circuit training session and overly enthusiastic lunges. I'm nursing it back slowly, keeping my mileage but no speedwork. Hope this helps. http://www.ericcressey.com/newsletter155html

Cheers people looks like a rest for a bit normally wouldnt bother but it really hurt ! I must be getting old grrr !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bloody hell Andy, you, injured - no way! I always got the impression you were bullet-proof! Hope it clears up quickly mate ....
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Master

If the pain is close to your groin, then a diagnosis to consider is psoas bursitis - hurts to lift the leg for example when putting socks on - often brought on by a sudden increase in hill work. Psoas - strictly speaking ilio-psoas - is a very strong hip flexor and goes from the pelvis/back to the very upper part of the femur. It has a very large bursa to protect the muscle when it curves over the pelvic brim, and this gets inflamed, causing pain/inflammation in the adjacent muscle.

The treatment for psoas bursitis:
    Avoid what hurts, do hip flexor stretches, core exercises, and hip flexor eccentrics - reverse sit ups: from the sat up position slowly lower/roll your back onto the floor - take about 5 seconds to do this - and then push yourself back up with your arms. Start with 5-10, build up to 30. If you cannot control the descent you are trying to do too many. There is usually no need to stop running altogether, but as stated above avoid what hurts.
    Last edited by Mike T; 06-02-2012 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Clarification

At least you've got a 'proper' running injury and not a dicky elbow!

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    Bloody hell Andy, you, injured - no way! I always got the impression you were bullet-proof! Hope it clears up quickly mate ....
    haha i wish pal getting old now !

Its right in the centre i got it,it really hurt Saturday night (untill the wine and beer kicked in haha) Sunday it eased off and now i can barely feel it which i find wierd.I couldnt lift my leg using own leg muscles had to lift it with my arm.I've not increased the hills really as been doing around 6000-10000ft per week for a while i think it was the snow that did it last week it was hard going climbing up ! And whernside was pretty deep snow to and steep !

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    If the pain is close to your groin, then a diagnosis to consider is psoas bursitis - hurts to lift the leg for example when putting socks on - often brought on by a sudden increase in hill work. Psoas - strictly speaking ilio-psoas - is a very strong hip flexor and goes from the pelvis/back to the very upper part of the femur. It has a very large bursa to protect the muscle when it curves over the pelvic brim, and this gets inflamed, causing pain/inflammation in the adjacent muscle.

The treatment for psoas bursitis:
    Avoid what hurts, do hip flexor stretches, core exercises, and hip flexor eccentrics - reverse sit ups: from the sat up position slowly lower/roll your back onto the floor - take about 5 seconds to do this - and then push yourself back up with your arms. Start with 5-10, build up to 30. If you cannot control the descent you are trying to do too many. There is usually no need to stop running altogether, but as stated above avoid what hurts.