Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Pain on inside leg above ankle

Pain on inside leg above ankle

Can anyone shed some light on what might be causing this and what I should do please?

I have been upping my mileage in preparation for the Fellsman and done a lot of long runs in mud and snow. The day after a very difficult 18m run in snow last week I felt pain in my inside right leg about 3 inches above the ankle. I have been favouring that leg a bit on descents due to a flair up of an old knee injury on the other leg. I rested for a day and then had a short run which was uncomfortable but not too bad. Had two short runs since and thought it was a bit better yesterday but when I went for a 3m walk it got progressively worse until I had to limp home. I've massaged the area and it feels very tender if I press it and also 'creaky' if I flex my foot while pressing. If I go on tip toes I get a sharp stabbing pain. I'm really fed up. I have had physio treatment for my knee and a badly sprained ankle last year and have started doing the exercises again but its slow progress and I'm really bad at remembering to do them (I am going to try really hard from now on). The exercises are things like squats, calf raises, glute strengthening and core work.

I've been trying to work out what muscles and tendons are involved in the most recent problem from anatomical drawings but I'm really confused. I just want to keep running and I feel demoralised. Can anyone offer advice? I know I can go back and see my physio but I am hoping there is something I can do to help in the short term.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Re: Pain on inside leg above a

Hes,

I am far from an expert, but this sounds exactly like the problem I've been suffering with - some sort of issue with your tibialis posterior. I've been waffling on about it here:

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...sterior-Injury

If that's it, then I'm sorry to say there doesn't appear to be an easy fix. I've been using ice (lots), ultrasound, massage, acupuncture and rehab exercises. It's on the mend, but still not 100%.

Martyn
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Thanks Martyn, I appreciate the advice. I had a look at your thread before posting but I think I must have misread it and thought your pain was in the ankle rather than the fleshy bit above it. I'm going to go back and have a proper read. It doesn't help that my anatomy knowledge is pretty poor and its a steep learning curve trying to work out how everything connects from diagrams! I hope that you continue to get better.

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    Hes,

I am far from an expert, but this sounds exactly like the problem I've been suffering with - some sort of issue with your tibialis posterior. I've been waffling on about it here:

http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...sterior-Injury

If that's it, then I'm sorry to say there doesn't appear to be an easy fix. I've been using ice (lots), ultrasound, massage, acupuncture and rehab exercises. It's on the mend, but still not 100%.

Martyn

Hi Hes,

It's difficult to do a forum diagnosis without someone who knows anatomical structures getting their hands on you! It could be your achilles tendon if its to the rear of your leg - it's a lot bigger than most people think, but the only sure way to find out is to see a physio or sports & rehab massage therapist. There's a lot of tendons that run around the ankle. exercises/stretching given for your knee injury might not be appropriate for this current injury. best thing until you know what it is for sure is to rest and ice. if the injury is to a tendon it could take a while to heal so get a good therapist who'll advise you on how to keep active and running rather than someone who just tells you to stop!

wishing you a speedy recovery,
    Lynne

sounds like good old shin splints to me

Don't worry Hes; if you break down or your leg falls off on the Fellsman I'll still drag your sorry ass round. That said you could always consider the hill runners solution of last resort.................

Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    Thanks Martyn, I appreciate the advice. I had a look at your thread before posting but I think I must have misread it and thought your pain was in the ankle rather than the fleshy bit above it. I'm going to go back and have a proper read. It doesn't help that my anatomy knowledge is pretty poor and its a steep learning curve trying to work out how everything connects from diagrams! I hope that you continue to get better.
    You're right, it isn't clear is it? It appears that whatever trauma I suffered - and my physio thinks it was a small tear in the tib.post - was high up, just where you describe. The pain around the malleolus was a symptom, I suppose. I'm not really enough of an expert to explain it, but I definitely (still, I suppose) had pain in two distinct places.

I think Lynne's advice is safest - ice and rest until you can get a proper diagnosis.

Martyn
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Thanks for the advice everyone, I think Lynne is right, I'm going to rest it a bit and massage plus ice etc but if it carries on, I'll give my physio a ring and arrange to see him. He's a sports physio and very sympathetic to runners, although I know he'll tell me off for not carrying on the exercises he recommended , am kicking myself for stopping once everything felt better!

Zoot, I am a bit confused re shinsplints, I've always thought they occurred on the front of your shin and this is deep within the side of the lower calf but reading around the subject suggests that 'shin splints' covers other areas.

:thumbup: Thanks Stolly. You may regret that offer though...I'd expect a proper piggy back. Also, would you be prepared to be seen with me if I use walking poles? x

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Don't worry Hes; if you break down or your leg falls off on the Fellsman I'll still drag your sorry ass round. That said you could always consider the hill runners solution of last resort.................

Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    Zoot, I am a bit confused re shinsplints, I've always thought they occurred on the front of your shin and this is deep within the side of the lower calf but reading around the subject suggests that 'shin splints' covers other areas.
    I used to get shinplints down the inside of my shin (so if you imagine looking down at a cross-section of the calf, at 2 o'clock); and quite far down towards the ankle.