Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pain on inside leg above ankle

Re: Pain on inside leg above a

I'd like to say lay off the running, rest and get it looked at by a professional but what do I know as I am currently running with a foot that cracks when I walk and doesn't have any mobility in it until the first crack of the morning. It doesn't hurt if I run carefully though! What an idiot! You're a good athlete Hes and you have a huge event coming up in the Fellsman so don't take pot luck now. Shell out and go and see Mr Jelleylegs!

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    2 o'clock, presumably on your left leg; a similar position on your right leg would be 10 o'clock.

Some useful diagrams:http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=shi...jd3QY&ved=0CE8

Anterior shinsplints are self explanatory in position; posterior shinsplints are at the posterior tibial edge, which is nowhere near the back of the leg, which can lead to some confusion.
    yes sorry, I meant my left - and yes, it would be 10 o'clock on the right

anecdotally I'd say this was a common place to experience this sort of pain as it is where the muscle attaches to the bone, where the pain-causing inflammation and 'shearing' most often occurs ...

Thanks Fairyfeet and I am taking it easy but I have to say, you should be heeding your own advice! Cracking feet with no mobility sounds like something that needs attention!

Am considering contacting Dave for a consultation. I'm happy 'shelling out', its a wise investment, but I haven't done anything yet because I want to see if things improve with rest and stretching as the conditions last Wednesday were out of the ordinary and I'm not surprised I ended up with something niggling me.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyfeet View Post
    I'd like to say lay off the running, rest and get it looked at by a professional but what do I know as I am currently running with a foot that cracks when I walk and doesn't have any mobility in it until the first crack of the morning. It doesn't hurt if I run carefully though! What an idiot! You're a good athlete Hes and you have a huge event coming up in the Fellsman so don't take pot luck now. Shell out and go and see Mr Jelleylegs!
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Ha ha ha... Can't think of anything witty to say to that but I'm sure Stolly will come up with something.

(how's your ankle by the way? I hope you are on the road to recovery)

Quote Originally Posted by Old Whippet View Post
    I've noticed an uncharacteristic softness creeping into your posts on this thread Stolly. Get a grip! And you too Hes.

To be honest Hes I am sick of paying for people to keep me on the road! I'm skint. Podiatrist, Masseur, Physio, Osteo they've all had their hands out and I have started saying NO. (she says beginning to remember the advice I offered you!) So here's the thing, short steady runs, no orthotics (she says waiting the barrage of comments), yoga, stretching and self massage (I can reach from the top to the bottom of my leg myself thankyou very much!). The clicking foot is something bad I know but I'm waiting for it to go proper then I'll get on the NHS!

Ha Ha am I delusional or what!

Not delusional...sounds like the you are at the end of your tether. Anyway, you'll have got a heck of a lot of advice and experience of how to stretch etc from those visits so I can totally relate to what you are saying. I've actually been good and not run today but stretched and massaged and I have to say that (fingers crossed) things are feeling much better. Good luck with your recovery and I hope the clicky foot is nothing serious...maybe there will be a very big click and everything will be fine again, you never know!

Quote Originally Posted by Fairyfeet View Post
    To be honest Hes I am sick of paying for people to keep me on the road! I'm skint. Podiatrist, Masseur, Physio, Osteo they've all had their hands out and I have started saying NO. (she says beginning to remember the advice I offered you!) So here's the thing, short steady runs, no orthotics (she says waiting the barrage of comments), yoga, stretching and self massage (I can reach from the top to the bottom of my leg myself thankyou very much!). The clicking foot is something bad I know but I'm waiting for it to go proper then I'll get on the NHS!

Ha Ha am I delusional or what!

Both of my younger daughter's ankles are clicky but she can still sprint like a bullet. Maybe clicky ankles is a good thing .

As for your splinty shin Hes, as the sea plane pilot said to Indiana Jones just after he'd escaped from the spiders, traps, rolling boulder and poisoned darts of the natives at the start of Raiders of the Lost Ark....

'Come on! Show a little backbone will ya!'

Ankle mending and I have prematurely ditched the moon-boot / splint thing. Maybe I ought to start a new query..... does anyone know what the rules are about resuming running after a broken ankle? In fact I shall do so now.
    It's so hard to be patient and I have every sympathy for you (not that that's going to do your splinty shins any good). I keep entering races and still haven't run a single yard since New Years Day. Let's hope you can soon pick up where you left off, as you seemed to be running really well and clocking up top mileage.
    Anyway, good to see Stolly back on track after his little lapse.

Thanks OW and its good to know that you are in the next phase of your rehab. Hopefully you can start doing some gentle runs very soon. I have no experience of broken ankles and so can't help you there but did find a brace was useful for my first fell runs after I tore my ligaments last summer but then it gave me blisters and so I ditched it for a neoprene support which was reassuring (not sure how useful but it did keep my ankle warm).

Don't be taken in by Stolly's last post, he's just pretending to be his oldself when in actual fact he's all about the hippy hairdo and doghugging these days...(don't think he's got to tree hugging yet but its my guess that its on the cards).:wink:

Quote Originally Posted by Old Whippet View Post
    Ankle mending and I have prematurely ditched the moon-boot / splint thing. Maybe I ought to start a new query..... does anyone know what the rules are about resuming running after a broken ankle? In fact I shall do so now.
    It's so hard to be patient and I have every sympathy for you (not that that's going to do your splinty shins any good). I keep entering races and still haven't run a single yard since New Years Day. Let's hope you can soon pick up where you left off, as you seemed to be running really well and clocking up top mileage.
    Anyway, good to see Stolly back on track after his little lapse.

...shin/calf update. I've taken it easy this week with loads and loads of stretching of calves, achilles and hamstrings plus some strength work on my glutes, quads & core. I had a gentle 4m run on Tuesday on the flat and tarmac and it felt ok but I took it very easy because I was aware of it (not hurting but felt like it could at any moment). No after effects. Today I had a gentle 6m run off-road and tried a little steep bank and it felt fine except when I hit a bit of road on the last stretch became a bit more aware of it. No after effects except when I got out of the car awkwardly and it twinged a bit. Will build up slowly from here and have rest days with continued stretching and see how I am next week.