Thread: Disconnected??????????

Disconnected??????????

Why do I feel so out of it when I can't run?
    I'm getting back (AGAIN) after a few weeks out with a calf twang. Can't help feeling a bit spaced and disconnected.........perhaps it's the company?
    When I run, we meet up and spend time among the outdoors and endorphins: maybe it's that I miss?
    Feel a bit of a gonk if I can't do the running though. (Not to mention the problems with behaving "normally" in the outside world: no release valve, so WAY too sarcastic and considered even more of a wierdo by some of my coworkers!)
    Any other sufferers out there???????
    Any coping strategies??????????????

Re: Disconnected??????????

Quote Originally Posted by Chugger View Post
    Why do I feel so out of it when I can't run?
    I'm getting back (AGAIN) after a few weeks out with a calf twang. Can't help feeling a bit spaced and disconnected.........perhaps it's the company?
    When I run, we meet up and spend time among the outdoors and endorphins: maybe it's that I miss?
    Feel a bit of a gonk if I can't do the running though. (Not to mention the problems with behaving "normally" in the outside world: no release valve, so WAY too sarcastic and considered even more of a wierdo by some of my coworkers!)
    Any other sufferers out there???????
    Any coping strategies??????????????
    have a second hobby, try marshalling your local race, help with your local running club?

beer is always a good option, you get valued practice in for after race specials..
    penguins happy feet :w00t:

Chugger,

As a runner prone to injury (aren't we all? ) you really must have a fall back plan that can 'kick in' as soon as you get injured.

For me it's normally swimming or cycling but recently I've been putting in a lot of time on indoor rowing - Concept 2 have an excellent website where you can rank your performances against folk of the same age, weight etc. - real motivational stuff and a great way to keep the endorphyns flowing whilst nursing a running injury.

Or how about mountain biking? - still allows you to get out in the country - but far less stress on the lower limbs. Okay with a claf injury as long as you init time spent 'out of the saddle'.

Always have a back-up activity you enjoy doing then every time an injury happens you can think positive and devote time to your alternative plan.

Hope this helps - and ease back in gently.

All the best

MH

Get back in the pool Chugger.

That was the remedy you prescribed for me and it worked
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Yeah i always found aqua jogging in the pool is good , going to the gym aswell doing some cycling & a few weights depends on the injury of course
    Track rules

Thanks sooo much for the suggestions.........
    I am (as usual) spending more time in the pool (thanks Danbert) and it's o.k.

I'm also cycling (a bit lonely, but a good idea Saints Lad) and doing a few "spinning" sessions at the sports centre.

The marshalling bit often makes me feel really sad (that I can't run) and LOADS of lovely folk keep asking you why you're not out there (again , a bit of a downer). I don't drink, so Penguins other suggestion is a bit of a non runner (as indeed am I!).

I suppose it's a kind of withdrawal that I feel really: I look outside (the track and park are 100yards from my back garden) and get this wistful/melancholic feeling.

I am going to try a bit of mountain biking! I've decided that I'll hire one and see if it's a goer........can't say I fancy the expense or the hours of kit cleaning though!!
    Oh we are soooooooooo lucky to be able to run!! Cheap and social and easily availiable, what else can compare??