Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Too much time running?

Re: Too much time running?

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    Get a dog then you've always got an excuse to run!!!
    This! That said getting a dog hasn't saved my marriage... but it sure has helped getting out of the house

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    This! That said getting a dog hasn't saved my marriage... but it sure has helped getting out of the house
    Ditto with my ex. My Ridgeback was the best walked dog in the village. I would go out for hours with him and just sit on the bank of the river Lugg to save being in the house. Plenty of time to consider different options. Then after a couple of months of deliberating, I made my decision and when she left she took the dog as well. On top of everything else in the house, but I was happy again.

Back on track - its a hard choice and as Amex has said, a good decent chatting session not interupted by runs / Eastenders or shouting is probably the best solution but complete honesty is required.
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

If at the end of the day, you tried, and then it all goes tits up, you can look back and with honesty say you tried to work it out and it just did not work---- shit happens

It would be wrong and you would never be at peace if you did not try so get off this bloody forum and try
    Going to try again....

Interesting. I have difficulties in this area too, but they're not what you might expect: My wife is also a keen runner and a recent convert to the fells, the trouble I have is that my work is much more flexible than hers and I therefore have more time at the end of the day, I also have no problem in getting up early - something she finds nearly impossible without a healthy charge of nitro-glycerin. What I'm getting at here is that she gets very grumpy and jealous if I try and do anything without her, even if circumstances just don't allow her to partake. She'd deny it vehemently, but she'd much prefer I didn't do something rather than do it without her.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by Martyn P View Post
    Interesting. I have difficulties in this area too, but they're not what you might expect: My wife is also a keen runner and a recent convert to the fells, the trouble I have is that my work is much more flexible than hers and I therefore have more time at the end of the day, I also have no problem in getting up early - something she finds nearly impossible without a healthy charge of nitro-glycerin. What I'm getting at here is that she gets very grumpy and jealous if I try and do anything without her, even if circumstances just don't allow her to partake. She'd deny it vehemently, but she'd much prefer I didn't do something rather than do it without her.
    I must admit that if I was in your situation but it was reversed, ie my wife was into running and had a flexible job that allowed lots of time to carryout the hobby, it would more than likely hack me right off. I would suggest that you do a or a couple of joint decent run(s) / training session(s) at a fixed time when she knows that she is going to be home from work. Make her part of it and therefore something to look forward to but make them decent long sessions if possible so she gets the max out of it.
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Surely there's no such thing as too much running. Just too much other stuff that needs fitting in around the running. Having said that, not having a girlfriend or kids makes life simpler!

Hmmm...I wonder if the latter and the former are correlated? :wink:
    Richard Foster, North Leeds Fell Runners, Airienteers Orienteering Club & Leeds Adel Hockey Club

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    I must admit that if I was in your situation but it was reversed, ie my wife was into running and had a flexible job that allowed lots of time to carryout the hobby, it would more than likely hack me right off. I would suggest that you do a or a couple of joint decent run(s) / training session(s) at a fixed time when she knows that she is going to be home from work. Make her part of it and therefore something to look forward to but make them decent long sessions if possible so she gets the max out of it.
    Don't misunderstand me here Paul, we do loads of training sessions together and usually do our long runs together - it's the occasions when I have autonomy to do stuff by myself that upset her. For instance, I'm off up to the Lakes next Friday for a long day out and she's not sure she can get the day off. It will tear her to bits and try as she might, it will be hard for her not to be reproachful about it. I suppose this is a "Cake and Eat It" situation for me - I want to go and do my thing guilt-free and (of course) I rarely can.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Super Moderator

The best thing to do is if you meet anyone of the opposite sex is to suggest a 25mile run out in the local National Park at or around '18hour Fellsman pace'. Just be careful because they might end up moving in with you if it goes well :closed:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I spend too much time running.... well, at least, too much time relative to the distance covered!

Quote Originally Posted by bah View Post
    How much time spent running is too much? My partner does not run (or have any interest in running) and does not have any other time consuming hobbies. It seems that the time I spend running is too much in his eyes. I train about 8 hours a week, trying to get one long run of 4 hours in at the weekend. I feel like I have already compromised a lot on training, and even running early in the morning to minimise time not spent together is not enough. I'm starting to wish I was content doing short races! How do other people work this out with non running partners?

It's "Valentines Day" tomorrow, come home from work, not a word, pull on your trainers and go for a long run - with headtorch. Go on, I dare you :sneaky:.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.