Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peak-bagging at Gofar

Re: Peak-bagging at Gofar

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
    Had an attempt at the 6CTs yesterday. Wheels fell off on Outer Edge big time. I was sick four times and had to bail at Crowden with 7 miles to go. Gutted. Sickness & Diaboggles, plus the bog monster and a half hour hail shower over the watershed bogs took its toll. The only positive is that there aren't many of us that have done two 4CTs. When I showed my three year old daughter a video of Shining Tor, all she could say was "Was that where you had a poo!". Still, when the pain goes away I might have another go.
    sorry I didn't turn up mid route it was too close to the Bowland 1500's run. looks a long day out.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    sorry I didn't turn up mid route it was too close to the Bowland 1500's run. looks a long day out.
    No probs IDP. To be honest I was fubared at this point. I shot a few seconds of video at High Stones and my voice was unrecognisable I was so ill. I still managed to shuffle a further 9 miles before I threw the towel in.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodders View Post
    No probs IDP. To be honest I was fubared at this point. I shot a few seconds of video at High Stones and my voice was unrecognisable I was so ill. I still managed to shuffle a further 9 miles before I threw the towel in.
    Video uploaded.

Having made the promise back in February at the start of this thread, I finally went round the Upper Calder 13 Trigs last week. A fantastic day out that combined my favourite local Calder Valley hills with some new running as well, with the benefit of going past my house three-quarters of the way round! It took me just over 8 hours to cover the 45 miles, and I even managed to find a rare day when it wasn't raining for most of the time.

I'd certainly recommend the UC13 as well worth the effort to anyone living locally. Many thanks to MM for putting it on the Go Far site else I'd never have heard about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon B View Post
    Having made the promise back in February at the start of this thread, I finally went round the Upper Calder 13 Trigs last week. A fantastic day out that combined my favourite local Calder Valley hills with some new running as well, with the benefit of going past my house three-quarters of the way round! It took me just over 8 hours to cover the 45 miles, and I even managed to find a rare day when it wasn't raining for most of the time.

I'd certainly recommend the UC13 as well worth the effort to anyone living locally. Many thanks to MM for putting it on the Go Far site else I'd never have heard about it.
    Trig bagging routes always welcome :-) Thanks for the recommendation.

There's a hardish Bowland xx trigs route knocking about somewhere IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by RobW View Post
    Trig bagging routes always welcome :-) Thanks for the recommendation.

There's a hardish Bowland xx trigs route knocking about somewhere IIRC
    Rob, that's my brainchild ( or maybe one of my brain children??) from well over 10 years ago ..... the 18x 1000 foot ( + ) trigs of Bowland. Nobody has taken a stab as yet; but I am aware that a couple of Bowlanders ( of good pedigree ) have been eyeing it up over the last couple of years. They don't form an obvious round, the conundrum being the order to tackle some of the trigs in the SE corner of our little patch of wilderness; plus it would involve 3 sections of crossing enclosed, low-lying farmland .... trespass? ..... divert around indirect PFPs? .... or resort to a run / cycle duathlon? ... to pick-up 3 obvious outliers.

Ian.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

I ve been checking out the bowland trigs, looking at a end to end route starting at caton that way I won't have far to crawl into my pit at the end.I ve got the route pretty much sorted it just the section between waddington fell to longridge fell ,being a farmer in the ribble valley I couldn't possibly trespass on any neighbours land could I ??
    Last edited by andyt; 11-07-2012 at 10:57 PM.

This thread's got me thinking about having a go at the Bowland 12 Trigs, if we get any reasonable weather at any point. If we don't I'll probably have another go at getting round the Calderdale Way instead. I've just got the Bowland OS map from Amazon today (needless to say I don't already know the area at all). One thing that's pretty clear is that the 18 trigs is way beyond what I'm capable of. Good luck to anyone trying it!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Andy

I know the area quite well and have done some of th Bowland challenges. We will be back home from about 5 Aug, not sre for how long. Let me know what you plan ad I'll see if I can fit it in

Quote Originally Posted by karen nash View Post
    Andy

I know the area quite well and have done some of th Bowland challenges. We will be back home from about 5 Aug, not sre for how long. Let me know what you plan ad I'll see if I can fit it in
    Hi Karen. It'll be after we get back from Ireland, so most likely around 18/19 August. I need to do something long that weekend. It'll probably have to be weekend as Nicola will probably be working during the week.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club