Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Peak-bagging at Gofar

Re: Peak-bagging at Gofar

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    Hi Karen. It'll be after we get back from Ireland, so most likely around 18/19 August. I need to do something long that weekend. It'll probably have to be weekend as Nicola will probably be working during the week.
    Bowland Dozen attempt this Saturday if anyone cares to join me. I will run the ring, though I do not know the way. (Luckily I've got my trusty OS map though, & I think I've thrown off that pesky Gollum). 13th & 14th trig possible optional extras at the end of the day if things are going a lot better than I expect. 7am start from Dunsop Bridge. pm me if you want to come along.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

How did it go Andy. I suspect a pair of flippers might have been useful - those Bowland bogs can match anything in the Dark Peak! :w00t:

A bit of a fiasco actually Tony! It was pretty wet underfoot, so hard going. I'd been hoping to follow fence lines most of the time for the first half, then was hoping the cloud would lift. But...the fences around Fiendsdale Head didn't appear to bear any resemblance to where they are on my (new) OS Explorer map. I ended up wasting about an hour trying to locate Fiendsdale Head without success, & decided to knock it on the head. I headed west off the hill & followed paths round to the south back to Dunsop Bridge. If I could have navigated OK I'd have kept going, but I suspect I wouldn't have finished before my strength ran out. The nature of the peat bog up there makes it very heavy going if the ground's saturated. I'll have another go after a period of dry weather, but only if I can see where I'm going.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

Sorry to hear things did not go well. I think the nature of the route and the area is such that unless you have reasonable visibility it will be one long tedious unrelenting slog. So yes better to go back on a finer day or maybe in winter when its frozen. Good luck for next time.

Andy,
    I suspect you've fallen foul of one of the new fences that's appeared over the last couple of years ( don't think that the OS can keep pace with the Bowland fencing contractors ) and ended up following the incorrect fence. Even some of our home-grown Boweland lads have been known to get there fences wrong, particularly in clag. You can't miss Fiendsdale Head (when you hit it), a great big ladder stile over the ridge fence, surrounded by a huge peat morass with an obvious path coming up from Fiendsdale ( E ) and an equally obvious path coming up from Bleasedale ( W ). A bit puzzled how you dropped W and got back to Dunsop? From up there you need to drop E or SE.
    Easy to be wise after the event, but I always check any fenceline that I'm following ( in poor visibility), using map and compass to ensure that it's heading where it's supposed to.

Ian.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 22-08-2012 at 12:10 AM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Andy,
    I suspect you've fallen foul of one of the new fences that's appeared over the last couple of years ). A bit puzzled how you dropped W and got back to Dunsop? From up there you need to drop E or SE.
    Easy to be wise after the event, but I always check any fenceline that I'm following ( in poor visibility), using map and compass to ensure that it's heading where it's supposed to.

Ian.
    There were just too many fences, none of them straight. If I set out along one that seemed to be going the right way it changed its mind & headed off in another direction. Crucially, I failed to find the right one, leading to Fiendsdale Head. I ended up heading west deliberately, to give me a reasonable run round to Dunsop Bridge round south of the hills. And I ended up following yet another fence not marked on the OS map heading west - this one wasn't even a new one.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

When ever I'm up there I tend to follow the wall after totridge at the wall corner continue on the same line to the fence then keep the fence on your left and follow it ,the fence does have a few turns in it but I wouldn't cross it until the obvious corner with a stone Cain on the other side the fence to bag fairsnape then retrace my steps to the fence corner the same again follow the same fence keeping it to your left to feindsdale which I'm sure you won't miss last time I was on that section there was a lot of stone flags waiting to be laid.

I found the flags & ran beyond them. I couldn't tell whether I got as far as Fiendsdale Head or not though. I followed the fence the flags followed, & it ended up heading north. I turned back after a bit, as I thought I must have overshot. If I did overshoot I must have retraced my steps too far, as when I gave up & baled out west, I came out of the clag south of where I should have been, close to Paddy's Pole. I need to get up there when it's clear...
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

Did the excellent Dales Skyline this weekend. A great journey across the Dales with some lonely sections to start and finish either side of the well trodden 3 peaks

some pics here - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=aa4ab5920d

I would certainly recommend it for a great day out!

Master

Quote Originally Posted by tomphillips View Post
    Did the excellent Dales Skyline this weekend. A great journey across the Dales with some lonely sections to start and finish either side of the well trodden 3 peaks

some pics here - http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=aa4ab5920d

I would certainly recommend it for a great day out!

Would like to do it Tom but as with many linear routes the logistics are hard. I wonder if there is a bus connection back to KL from settle at the end of the day?