Thread: Conditions in Upper Wharfedale

Conditions in Upper Wharfedale

Has anyone on here been up around Kettlewell, Gt Whernside and Buckden Pike area in the last few days? I was toying with the idea of a plod around the area at the weekend and wondered if the ground underfoot would be frozen solid or not? (I'm hoping not...)

Re: Conditions in Upper Wharfe

Quote Originally Posted by plodding bear View Post
    Has anyone on here been up around Kettlewell, Gt Whernside and Buckden Pike area in the last few days? I was toying with the idea of a plod around the area at the weekend and wondered if the ground underfoot would be frozen solid or not? (I'm hoping not...)
    Yes i live in Grassington and was up Capplestone gate over the weekend and there was plenty of snow and ice around, snow was up to mid shin area and in places knee deep.

A frost-free/slow thaw week is forecast so I'd imagine a lot less ice than there has been if indeed any....http://www.bbc.co.uk/weather/2648197

Hi PB, I was up Great Shunner Fell from Hawes today. Lots of snow above about 450 to 500 meters but a thaw is setting in. Less ice but more slush and wet snow at the moment. That said I think Buckden Pike and Great Whernside are more used so I suspect the main paths will be pretty well trodden.

Just to give you a idea what it was like up in the Great Whernside area on SundayAttachment 5715Attachment 5716

Ta for the updates folks, I can often see the area from the lofty peaks (ahem!) above Silsden and it does appear to be thawing a bit. It looks plenty runnable though, so I think I'll take my re-soled Wave Harriers out for a plod on Sunday. Looking forward to it already!

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    Hi PB, I was up Great Shunner Fell from Hawes today. Lots of snow above about 450 to 500 meters but a thaw is setting in. Less ice but more slush and wet snow at the moment. That said I think Buckden Pike and Great Whernside are more used so I suspect the main paths will be pretty well trodden.
    hi stolly what route did you take? i spent many weekends in Hawes as a nipper at our caravan. Am looking at the hills round there in a different light now! did Reeth Show in August too.