Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Torn calf muscle

Re: Torn calf muscle

REST REST REST... I tore my calf playing dam football out for 3 months my foot turned black.Give it a few weeks before you have physio let it heal.

Boo Hoo.... still not running, life is crap..
    who would have thought that life without running is so depressing.....
    going to the gym is just not the same..

Mudbaby signing off, fat, and depressed.
    Running on fells...MAD!!!

Mudbaby,

Don't panic - all is not lost...

I 'retired' from running completely in 2005 having got fed up with tearing calf muscles almost every other month - I honestly thought that I was physiologically incapable of running without injury.

After six months of no running at all a mate persuaded me to take part in a very low key offroad duathlon...

That was over a year ago now and since then I am running better than ever before - setting PB's on a regular basis, and enjoying my running more than any time in the last 20 years.

You just have to learn from experience and not do anything you think might injure you - for me it is; running 2 days in a row, too many fast sessions, tarmac hill reps, track work etc.

All the best - keep the faith

MH

I am an expert on torn calf muscles was losing about 4 months a year on that injury alone, and also nearly gave up for good in 2005, but am now starting to understand and manage it, probably only twice a year and not too bad.
    So last Friday I tore it again, caused by attempting a speed session ( the first) - as opposed to 3 -5 hour slow stuff - no way I can now manage a running action (flat and downhill is another instant tear) but yesterday did 45 miles on the bike and today 25miles + 4000 ascent fast walking, but in 61/2 hours.

Don't give up on training, but adapt to different methods, see what you can and can't do, uphill is no problem to me when injured but stride out on flat is the kiss of death.

Causes: If you are doing anything slightly different or stressfull in training, then pull up as soon as your calves tighten ( I didn't last Friday, believing I could run through it, wrong again ).

Recovery: Stretch, stretch, stretch. Slow build up when you start running again, 10 minutes of walk jog, 20 mins, 40 mins etc then it comes back quick.
    Recovery used to take me 6 weeks minimum, but now with plenty of daily stretching and other excercise - considerably less, I hope 2 - 3 weeks.
    Good luck, you are not alone and don't give up.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

cheers for the last two posts, really cheered me up. Did 10 mins on treadmill (i hate the things) and sore but okay.
    The sun is shining feeling much better today, diet started and things are looking good. I try not to look at the countryside, try not to think of the woods and trails.. ah memories.
    Running on fells...MAD!!!

Super Moderator

Torn calf recovery

I tore my left calf last Wednedsay. A week on and the swelling's largely gone and I'm walking much freer albeit still limping a bit (there was no bruising and physio said she'd seen much worse examples of the injury). A few questions:

- how long before I can run again?

- am I okay to cycle before running, once it's comfortable to do so?

- what's my chances of doing the Lakeland 50 at end of July (assuming entries still open etc)?

I've never really had a trauma injury before and I'm in that horrible 'I'll never be right again' phase

cheers
    Andrew
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Re: Torn calf recovery

I hope you 'll be ok for the dancing at Hamertime's next do!

I had a similar degree of calf damage Feb 2008. Started cycling after two or three weeks - but no out of the saddle uphills. Gentle running after about six weeks after injury and first race three months after injury.

I've had a slight recurrance after slipping on an icy road this winter but its basically been sound since.

Take it easy and dont rush it!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by K1M View Post
    I hope you 'll be ok for the dancing at Hamertime's next do!

Mate, it'd take more than a calf strain to stop me

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Fnstein View Post
    I had a similar degree of calf damage Feb 2008. Started cycling after two or three weeks - but no out of the saddle uphills. Gentle running after about six weeks after injury and first race three months after injury.

I've had a slight recurrance after slipping on an icy road this winter but its basically been sound since.

Take it easy and dont rush it!
    Thanks Fnstein - I thought from the feel of it I'd be okay for sensible cycling in a couple of weeks