Thread: ran for the first time after 3

ran for the first time after 3

I ran for the first time in around 3 months today. I’ve given the running a complete rest.

I’ve been trying to get over patella tendonitis (that’s still present after 9months) it is improving but very slowly. Currently awaiting an appointment with a Biomechanic.

Been cycling loads as this doesn’t affect things.

Anyway, as well as the tendon I’ve been suffering from a tight ITB on my other leg (this probably prevented me running more that the tendon).

After the 3 month layoff I thought my ITB would have disappeared but I could feel it there near to the end of my short 3 mile run on the moors. I’m guessing it WILL reappear with a few more runs.

Before anyone says I’ve been rolling, slat boards, stretching & strengthening everyday now for months & months.

I’m confident that the tendon will eventually completely heal (although from things so far I guess it will take a long time)

But the tight ITB – will it ever go???

AM I JUST NOT BUILT FOR RUNNING???

Re: ran for the first time aft

Sefton i really do feel your pain.

ITB has forced me into rethinking what I want from my running.

I have struggled for the last 3 years with ITB and in all honesty it's beaten me in terms of ever hoping to achieve levels that I once achieved.

BUT - I still enjoy my running.

I still manage to run more than needed to just stay fit but less than required to get anywhere near the levels i have achieved in the past (my levels were nowhere near yours by the way.)

My weekly 'safe' mileage (25 - 30 miles as week) seems to make general exercisers wince but high competitor runners laugh - but mentally i've now adjusted to this new level and to be honest i quite like being able to go out and run and not feel as though my life depends upon it anymore. I feel like i've evolved as a runner.

Obviously i hope you sort yourself out and get back to where you want to be with your running - as i remember you making a few waves with your racing a couple of years ago.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Re: ran for the first time aft

Quote Originally Posted by SEFTON View Post
    But the tight ITB – will it ever go???
    I'm pretty confident now after my carry-on with ITBS that you can't 'untighten' an IT band; just train your mind to use the right muscles via physiotherapy, and stabilise your leg as much as possible with work on hip flexion muscles and alignment drills.

By the way, i think 3m was too much for an ITBS sufferer's first run back. I'd start by shuffling 1/2m and take it from there. I spent the whole of Feb shuffling around the streets of my home town half a mile at a time to and from the gym and pilates and stuff, and to get toothpaste and sausages and other stuff i usually take the car for. I did a short but sharp multi ascent route in Troller's Gill the other day and didn't feel a thing. I've had to redefine the word gently.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent