Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Torn calf muscle

Lightbulb Torn calf muscle

I am feeling sorry for myself... I tore a calf muscle just before Xmas, after about 10 days, it didn't seem to hurt that much so i began running again Not good apparently, so it has torn again. Funny but i've always managed to run through all my other injuries no problem.. but not this one. Doctor said two months before i can run again
    I thought i heard 6 weeks, funny that. And after a week it doesn't really hurt that much so maybe it will only be one month before i run again. I am bored.. swimming is boring...funny how you miss things even when it is pouring down outside. I am icing it, but what else can i do, is it bad enough for physio, and can that get me back running quicker. two months seems a very lond time. Can someone help me please

Re: Torn calf muscle

Is it bad enough for physio......?

Well, if it's gone twice in quick succession, and you want to get back to running as quickly as possible, the answer's almost certainly yes. Get it looked at by a good physio and get a decent treatment and rehab programme agreed. I tore mine about 18 months ago, and with good treatment was back to gentle jogging in two weeks and full running in four. I think the prognosis depends on where in the calf the tear is, and how severe. Mine responded well to the usual RICE treatment early on and then a combination of massage, stretching and strengthening using a wobble board and other balance-type exercises, and lots of calf raises as it got better. I think I saw the physio 3 or 4 times - well worth it.

See the physio. Initially try some heel drops, toes on step, then move to calf raises. Plenty of stretching. To keep fitness up try an elliptical trainer, make sure you keep your heels flat to the pedals.

Thankyou, do not like going to the Doc's, but have done and have my first physio next week. Hopefully this will cut down the 6 weeks, and i will be back running, slowly, in a short time.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbaby View Post
    Thankyou, do not like going to the Doc's, but have done and have my first physio next week. Hopefully this will cut down the 6 weeks, and i will be back running, slowly, in a short time.
    I tore my calf last September. It felt OK after a week so ran again, and after less than half a mile it went again really suddenly with no warning. I ended up pushing my luck until the tear resulted in a hematoma and i was out for 8 weeks. I;ve only just got the fitness back that i had in August.

If i;d have rested first off, i'd have missed 3 or 4 weeks maybe. My impatience meant that the hematoma was excruciatingly painful when the physio treated it - which made me learn to respect calf tears! Also, the extra layoff meant a double whammy (more time off AND more time needed to retain fitness). I went to spinning classes and swam which kept me going a bit so try that - but please dont run on that calf until you get an all clear from the physio.

Good luck and be patient

ST

not quite the same i know...but many similarities - i'm just coming to the end of a 6 week lay off with bad ankle sprain and have made a good recovery to full strength because i saw a physio and did as i was told for a change. was running pain free on treadmill after 4 weeks.

dont forget

RICE RICERICERICERICERICERICERICE

rest ice compression elevation ..especially the ice and elevation bit - every day when it gets sore. everyone with any sort of medical background i've spoken to emphasises the above as invaluable. also alternate the ice with heat and give it a regular rub ...or better.. get someone nice to do it. dont rush things and you'll be right.

Cheers again, have just done a few spinning classes, and will continue to do them even when i am not injured, great fun.
    I have never sweated (sorry glowed) so much in all my life, it is hard work, seems harder that running, or maybe its because i don't push myself that hard when running. Swimming is boring but i will also continue doing that. After just over one week of no running am frustrated but can see that rest is what is needed (now i can go to spinning lessons, at least i can do some exhausting exercise to make me feel better)

Quote Originally Posted by Swiss Toni View Post
    I tore my calf last September. It felt OK after a week so ran again, and after less than half a mile it went again really suddenly with no warning. I ended up pushing my luck until the tear resulted in a hematoma and i was out for 8 weeks. I;ve only just got the fitness back that i had in August.

If i;d have rested first off, i'd have missed 3 or 4 weeks maybe. My impatience meant that the hematoma was excruciatingly painful when the physio treated it - which made me learn to respect calf tears! Also, the extra layoff meant a double whammy (more time off AND more time needed to retain fitness). I went to spinning classes and swam which kept me going a bit so try that - but please dont run on that calf until you get an all clear from the physio.

Good luck and be patient

ST
    I have to concur ST - i missed most of last summer by running too soon and pulling the old calf again. When finally it was OK seemed to take ages to regain my former fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by castlehill View Post
    I have to concur ST - i missed most of last summer by running too soon and pulling the old calf again. When finally it was OK seemed to take ages to regain my former fitness.
    I think I've pulled a calf muscle today. A bit of a blow - I suffered from one last summer, and kept running on it! I'm going to try to listen to my body and the constructive advice in this thread this time!

I tore my calf muscle at The Stoop before Christmas. It just tighened up a mile before the finish ~ simple as that ! I rested for a week then tried running. I lasted about 10 mins and had to return home. Rested for another week and still no good. However, last Monday visited a sports Physio who put me through some real pain (Ouch!). Then with a bit of light stretching during the week I managed a gentle outing of 6 miles on the fells yesterday without any pain. I've booked another session with the physio tomorrow, and with a bit of luck that should see me right again.

A mentioned earlier on this blog you must use RICE to get it right. I know it's difficult to stay at home but you must rest, otherwise further damage will ensue and prolong recovery.

So, hopefully see you all at Stanbury.
    See the light in the night