Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Torn calf muscle

Re: Torn calf recovery

As ever, the common mistake is to start running too soon. You need plenty of stretching, then strengthening and stretching, before you even consider running. If it's not too bad then you're probably looking at 5/6 weeks before your first flat jog. As for 'racing', I'm sure Fnstein is right to allow another 6 weeks when it comes to the faster, more competitive runners, but personally I started back in races pretty quickly after the calf rehab phase on a go slow, get round safely basis (ie as normal!)

But I'm no physio, and I only have your description of your injury to go on! Seek professional advice!!

(But if you do go cycling in a couple of weeks, be careful off road because you can have an unexpected wobble, stick your foot out to prevent a tumble, and .......
    well, you can guess the rest.

Good luck with it DT.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

A few years ago had a tear in the calf that i could get four finger tips in the gap As it was that bad after being strapped up I moreless kept weight off it for 3 days and afterwards just hit the pool each day doing about mile of crawl with gentle leg kicks. I don't know if I was lucky but I was back running in 2 weeks.

Super Moderator

Managed a 5mile walk this afternoon Hoping I might be able to get my bike out next weekend
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Next Sunday, perchance?

Be careful DT. It will feel fine in about 2 weeks. It won't be. What Fnstein says seems to match up with my myriad of calf problems

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    Be careful DT. It will feel fine in about 2 weeks. It won't be. What Fnstein says seems to match up with my myriad of calf problems
    Don't worry dom, I'm taking it very easy and won't be running for a few weeks yet I've heard too many stories of runners 'testing' seemingly healed injuries like mine and ending up back at square one or worse

Super Moderator

Calf feeling better day by day and I've started stretching and strengthening now Think will have at least another couple of weeks off running yet though

Super Moderator

2nd run on the comeback trail this morning. Mile or so further, bit more running than Thursday evening and a bit less walking. Odd twinge from calf but stopped for stretching and it was mostly fine
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 30-05-2009 at 01:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    I tore my left calf last Wednedsay. A week on and the swelling's largely gone and I'm walking much freer albeit still limping a bit (there was no bruising and physio said she'd seen much worse examples of the injury). A few questions:

- how long before I can run again?

- am I okay to cycle before running, once it's comfortable to do so?

- what's my chances of doing the Lakeland 50 at end of July (assuming entries still open etc)?

I've never really had a trauma injury before and I'm in that horrible 'I'll never be right again' phase

cheers
    Andrew
    DT my experiences with a torn calf last year don't match what the others are saying. I tore my calf running in last year's Edale Skyline such that I had to pull up half way round. It stiffened up and I could barely walk for two days so ut was a proper injury. I then forced myself to run a very painful 3 miles and got round okay and then ran an 8 miler a couple of days later and although it was painful got round that too. Exactly a week after injuring the calf I ran the Coniston 14 and did an okayish time too. My calf wasn't exactly better but, contrary to what's been said here, I think it recovered all the quicker because I forced it too.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    DT my experiences with a torn calf last year don't match what the others are saying. I tore my calf running in last year's Edale Skyline such that I had to pull up half way round. It stiffened up and I could barely walk for two days so ut was a proper injury. I then forced myself to run a very painful 3 miles and got round okay and then ran an 8 miler a couple of days later and although it was painful got round that too. Exactly a week after injuring the calf I ran the Coniston 14 and did an okayish time too. My calf wasn't exactly better but, contrary to what's been said here, I think it recovered all the quicker because I forced it too.
    I think there are all kinds of degrees of this type of injury. I've had a calf seize up a few times while running (often the day after getting off a long haul flight) and been running again within a couple of days. This was different. It was like being shot! My leg was swollen for three weeks and I was struggling to walk for two. It looks like I've seen it off in about a month and if so then I'm very relieved
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 30-05-2009 at 01:12 PM.