Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Torn calf muscle

Re: Calf tear

Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    I know how you feel Stagger.

Not for the first time I've picked up another (hopefully minor) calf strain/pull (fartlek session on road on Wednesday night did it for me!) so am planning at least a week off before even considering running again - experience tells me it may be a bit longer than a week though!

Touch wood I'm over my 'minor' pull but will be taking it easy for next few weeks (and wearing skins compression socks) after managing half hour comfortably tonight.

Hope Stagger, Hank and Dog Breath are all recovering and out running again asap.

Been manipulated to within an inch of my life at two recent visits to the physio, but it's seeming much better since. Walked maybe 8 or so miles in the Lakes up over Silver Howe and Loughrigg on Saturday with no ill effects and, ice permitting, going to try a very short easy jog tonight. Physio reckons once I get going again strength will come back in no time. I hope so as I've a longish run planned in the Lakes Saturday the 11th.
    Geoff Clarke

Touch wood I'm over my 'minor' pull but will be taking it easy for next few weeks (and wearing skins compression socks) after managing half hour comfortably tonight.

Hope Stagger, Hank and Dog Breath are all recovering and out running again asap.
    Back to square one again - managed only 10 mins last night before calf started seizing up again

Will do the usual RICE for a week/10 days before picking up my NHS orthotics on the 17th - lets hope they help!!

Super Moderator

Back to square one again - managed only 10 mins last night before calf started seizing up again

Will do the usual RICE for a week/10 days before picking up my NHS orthotics on the 17th - lets hope they help!!
    Multi, if it's torn properly total rest for two weeks, walk / cycle for further two, then gentle run / walks to ease you back into running
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Multi, if it's torn properly total rest for two weeks, walk / cycle for further two, then gentle run / walks to ease you back into running
    I did nowt apart from walk (limping at first) for 23 days after I tore mine. A couple of 45-60 minute runs and then it got round 24k/1800m in the Lakes without too much bother 4 weeks to the day after I did it, though it was a bit tight at first. I think a definite help is to keep it warm when you're out. When I ran in the Lakes I wore tights and at home I'm still using a doubled-up tubey bandage thing on it when I run. I reckon a good test is if you can run up the stairs two at a time without much discomfort. Good luck.
    Geoff Clarke

Frustrating stuff. I'm in a similar position waiting for my month's rest to be over before I can go out and test my hip problem. Not a nice position to be in. Hope yours gets sorted soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    You are right there DT - Like a lot of injured runners I just get impatient at times and even after a lifetime of running never heed my own advice and come back too soon - but this time I will leave it at least 2 weeks - honest!!

Quote Originally Posted by L.F.F
    Frustrating stuff. I'm in a similar position waiting for my month's rest to be over before I can go out and test my hip problem. Not a nice position to be in. Hope yours gets sorted soon.
    Thanks - and you too.

Super Moderator

You are right there DT - Like a lot of injured runners I just get impatient at times and even after a lifetime of running never heed my own advice and come back too soon - but this time I will leave it at least 2 weeks - honest!!
    Good luck. There's some decent advice on this thread earlier on too. I tore mine 10days before the Fellsman two years ago after a decent spring training and was gutted

Re: Torn calf muscle

Multi,
    I notice you say your calf siezed.
    It could be that you have not caused any more damage.
    What can happen is that you get scar tissue from the original tear, this creates a bit of a weak point in the muscle. Surrounding muscles around the scar contract in order to protect the weak area.
    Worth getting a physio assessment
    (I once thought I'd torn my calf, physio examined it and told me there was no tear just locked up muscle and then gave me a few exercises, massage and a quick recovery programme).
    Lots of friends - of a certain calf injury age - swear by Skins, and always wear the knee length things to support and protect.

The remedy that I have used to sort out calf pulls has been to do some barefoot running.
    My theory is that when you run barefoot then you are running naturally, nerves and muscles working in the synchronised order that they have been wired to do for a million years.
    Anyway, it worked for me.

Super Moderator

Re: Torn calf muscle

Quote Originally Posted by andy k View Post
    Multi,
    I notice you say your calf siezed.
    It could be that you have not caused any more damage.
    What can happen is that you get scar tissue from the original tear, this creates a bit of a weak point in the muscle. Surrounding muscles around the scar contract in order to protect the weak area.
    Worth getting a physio assessment
    (I once thought I'd torn my calf, physio examined it and told me there was no tear just locked up muscle and then gave me a few exercises, massage and a quick recovery programme).
    Lots of friends - of a certain calf injury age - swear by Skins, and always wear the knee length things to support and protect.

The remedy that I have used to sort out calf pulls has been to do some barefoot running.
    My theory is that when you run barefoot then you are running naturally, nerves and muscles working in the synchronised order that they have been wired to do for a million years.
    Anyway, it worked for me.
    My first post-recovery run was horrible. I'd only walked / jogged a few hundred yards and the calf started to fell tight and very odd. I spent as much time stretching as walking and running and it took a few run / walks of increasing distance / speed to feel confident it was healed properly