Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Emergency Contact Information

Re: Emergency Contact Informat

Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    Hope you are feeling a bit better now.

To be honest, I may take ID on long runs but I never take more than my house key when I run from home and I rarely tell anyone where I'm going or how long I'll be out because I live on my own and it would involve ringing someone up and saying 'by the way I am off for yet another run....' and I'd feel like a right plonker plus I like to feel free and I'm rarely more than a mile from a farmhouse or a well used footpath. However, in the 'wilds' and in bad weather I do look after myself better and always carry good kit and id.
    You're right Hes. It's all a matter of risk calculation and we can be too risk averse (in society that is as I guess most fellrunners by definition aren't overly cautious folk )
    Am Yisrael Chai

LOL... well, as it happens, I had one of them the other day, collapsed in Boots while I was queing to pay for some eye drops... no pulse, not breathing, so I started compressions while someone called the ambulance... by the time the ambulance arrived, still nowt... so they used the defib on her, still nowt as she was carted away... I reckon dead before she even hit the floor... at least we tried... and I never got to look for contact details, but am sure the techie did in the ambulance...

Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    If you find me unconscious I'd rather you looked for a pulse and resps first but maybe I'm just fussy ;-)
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

I admit, I never used to take anything or tell anyone where I had gone, as I rarely know myself when starting out on a run or ride on the hills... sometimes I am gone all day, without there being any reason for alarm...

No point taking my phone here either, as there is no signal and like Hes, I live alone and I LOVE the freedom of just setting off wherever and winging it and have a great run or ride. I always carry sensible amounts of kit and food and drink with me for longer exploits though, as well as an emergency bivvy, whistle and first aid kit and repair/tool kit for the bike... But for someone who has been known to camp out over night in the emergency fleece and bivvy, eating the emergency energy bar for breakfast, it doesn't make sense to tell anyone where I am gone and for how long

Quote Originally Posted by Hes View Post
    To be honest, I may take ID on long runs but I never take more than my house key when I run from home and I rarely tell anyone where I'm going or how long I'll be out because I live on my own and it would involve ringing someone up and saying 'by the way I am off for yet another run....' and I'd feel like a right plonker plus I like to feel free and I'm rarely more than a mile from a farmhouse or a well used footpath. However, in the 'wilds' and in bad weather I do look after myself better and always carry good kit and id.

Always worth trying and never nice - but great when you do save a life. I was glad to see you were laughing at my previous comment - having made a joke I then freaked out that I might cause offence, have always been better at leaping than looking
    :-)
    Last edited by paulo; 19-02-2012 at 11:46 PM. Reason: General idiocy

The winkey smiley was a dead giveaway

Quote Originally Posted by paulo View Post
    Always worth trying and never nice - but great when you do save a life. I was glad to see you were laughing at my previous comment - having made a joke I then freaked out that I might cause offence, have always been better at leaping than looking
    :-)