Thread: Today's walk....

Today's walk....

Yes, yes, I know! Why walk when you can run??

Well, after a lifetime of trying to find ways to enjoy the great outdoors with my dearly beloved (a non runner but she DID do a fell race once....a long time ago!) we finally have found a way with some friends who want to go on long walks with us. So, it comes to pass that my encyclopaedic knowledge of all things hilly and pubby in our neck of the woods is finally of some use! And also so, it explains why we had a cracking Sunday walk on a cold but gin clear day up and around the Skirrid topped of by a cracking sunday roast in the Skirrid Inn (oldest pub in wales etc etc). Highly recommended.

Waiting in the wings are Sugar Loaf/Pantygelli Arms, Black Mountains/Red Lion, Waun Fach/Castle Inn etc etc!:thumbup:
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Re: Todays walk....

Due to having been ill for a few days I went for a walk yesterday over my 'hill' where I usually go running. Having not been up there for a few weeks I was pleasantly surprised to find they've been out chopping a fair amount of the woodlands back, opening up some paths that have not really been useable for a while. I also took the opportunity to explore a few different paths that I've haven't run on previously. I reckon there's another 2 miles of running to be had up there!

This weekend my wife and I went to Snowdonia for a couple of days walking. We started the Nantel ridge the first day but did not finish it. It was so slippy in the wet and she took such coaxing to get here over the first serious scramble, she point blank refused to even start the second (much easier) scramble. We ended up working our way down a side spur, which involved a very enjoyable slide on my bum on the wet grass.

Done Moel Hebog the second day clear skies but very windy and got pelted by hail stones on the summit. Good day out though.

I got in a 1.5 hr run just ran up the Watkins Path for an hour then turned around and came back a more direct route across the grass and through the old quarry site. That is one very big and scary hole they dug there.

You could try a walk coupled with a bit of geocaching - if you have kids it makes it a LOT easier for you to get the walking boots on!

We were also in Snowdonia with the Boy Wonder and friends, we all enjoyed a walk on Llyn coastal path (the pointy bit), on Friday. Saturday they walked locally again - whilst Missus and I set fire to things in his garden , and Sunday they headed for Snowdon whilst we came home.

Walking is definately a most sociable way of seeing the hills (and country) with friends, it does no harm at all to slow up sometimes, which is my excuse as I get older!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Got a child carrier rucsacky thing for my 14 month old. Did Hameldon on Saturday and this weekend we are Pendle Hill bound. You can run a bit with it without the child bouncing out but better to walk (says the wife).
    Last edited by Ady In Accy; 21-02-2012 at 07:06 AM. Reason: spelling...

But if you run a lot the child DOES bounce out haha. They are fantastic. Took my two all over in one. Crippled me for life.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Well nearly.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

I went for a walk on Sunday with some non-running friends...very nice it was too.
    Attachment 5746Attachment 5747
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

I started out hillwalking before I got into running and still walk some weekends. I agree it's a way to keep in with loved ones - particularly family and friends who refuse to run with you!