Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: An end to multi-culturalism...

Re: An end to multi-culturalis

Quote Originally Posted by christopher leigh View Post
    You've tripped up on your own argument. You don't approve of intolerance by individuals but you approve of it by the state?
    not sure what you mean
    Eleanor Knowles, Ambleside AC

You've tripped up on your own argument. You don't approve of intolerance by individuals but you approve of it by the state?
    If you mean the states intolerance to racists and homophobes then yes. I expect the state to legislate against these groups and they have a mandate to do that on our behalf.

Translating documents in a bank, or providing a translator at the council office is neither here nor there. To contribute to society you need to be able to engage with society. The enclaves in France and Spain are poor examples. A report last year hi-lighted the problems with an aging expat population becoming increasingly isolated and unable to seek assistance as they become less self reliant.

I work in a very culturally diverse environment, but what is apparent - and to me what has always been apparent, is that those who excel are those that are well educated and to a large degree 'westernized'. It does not matter what your creed, colour or background is. If you cannot engage with your peers you will not excel*.

*excel is the wrong word, but it's the best I can think of right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    I'm unhappy with lots of things that taxes are spent on, but the translation of official documents is a very tiny drop in the ocean of tax revenue and seems pretty irrelevant in the greater scheme of things. I rather hope that British people become intolerant, not of translation of documents (!?) but of any government actions that exclude and marginalise people, that cause disparity between rich and poor across the world, that fuel unjust regimes, that exploits low paid workers whichever country, here or abroad, that suppresses minorities, etc. I can't imagine that translation of documents into dozens of other languages causes many people sleepless nights.
    Talking of generalisations Eleanor, this is pretty general stuff.

I'm not a fan of Eric Pickles, he seems disingenuous in this article, but I do think this is an issue which warrants sensible discussion.

But you should? Your post is a reflection of what is wrong with this country and the people controlling it. The real issue surrounding the B&B owners is about property rights and their real meaning. The owners consider homosexuality and unmarried sex as being against their belief system and in their own home/business as being something they won't tolerate.

Now if you are arguing that disagreeing and using one's own property in accordance with such is morally wrong, then you better be prepared to have the BNP eat in your kitchen and sleep in your bed.
    Again you're missing the point, membership of the BNP is a choice, sexuality isn't. I also don't open the doors of my house as a business. If you do, then discrimination on the grounds of race, sexuality etc is unacceptable.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Eleanor View Post
    not sure what you mean
    Precisely Eleanor! You cannot see the harm in your own ideas. You believe that your ends are good but you never question your means. Put another way you are intolerant of those who are intolerant.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by nikalas View Post
    Again you're missing the point, membership of the BNP is a choice, sexuality isn't. I also don't open the doors of my house as a business. If you do, then discrimination on the grounds of race, sexuality etc is unacceptable.
    Homosexuality may or may not be a choice but that is besides the point. If you are arguing that people should be forced to trade with those they consider immoral then you should remember that friendship is a trade and if you don't want to be friends with someone they should be allowed to stay in your house all the same.

Homosexuality may or may not be a choice but that is besides the point. If you are arguing that people should be forced to trade with those they consider immoral then you should remember that friendship is a trade and if you don't want to be friends with someone they should be allowed to stay in your house all the same.
    I dont think anybody is saying you should be forced to be friends with those whose values they dont agree with. In the realm of business however we have laws which have to be respected whether you like them or not. You seem to be delibrately missing the point.

Interesting, please elaborate and I suppose you think it can be "cured" too? It's not besides the point, it is the point. If you're arguing that they were right to discriminate against homosexual couples, it's not a massive leap to saying that apartheid was right. The second part of this post is so weak, convoluted and way beneath your usual standards that it's not even worth addressing.